Strobing on EX1

benglowney

I am shooting bright sunny exteriors of a subject longboarding at high speed with the Sony PMW-EX1. Many of the shots are at a pretty close zoom between 50 and 80mm (Using f = 5.8 mm to 81.2 mm ;equivalent to 31.4 mm to 439 mm on 35 mm lens). I was experimenting with a narrow shutter angle set at 22.5 degrees in order to preserve clarity in the action of the subject and the rocks and trees and texture of the road. I suspected that this could result in a fair deal of strobing in the image, however, and indeed there is. The strobing is not such a problem on a telephoto shot because of the slightly lower depth of field I'm getting (though it's still pretty deep), but when doing a wide pan it's pretty garrish. My tests were shooting 24p.

Any recommendations on capturing very clear movement while minimizing the strobing effect? I've considered shooting at 60i. I would prefer to shoot at 60p, but if I do so the resolution will have to drop to 720p. I've also considered just dealing with the strobing on any of the telephoto shots and then setting the shutter at 180 degrees and somewhere between 1/100s and 1/48s for the wides. I'm new though so any advice is welcomed.

Also, I am just curious if anyone could help explain to me how shutter angle works with a CMOS sensor. I am really only familiar with the rotary disk shutter on cameras like the Arri Sr2 and 3.

Thank you