Car shoot in Germany

Tony Brown

• Premium Member

Long time since I've shot cars in Germany, but I've been advised that its no longer possible to mount a camera anywhere on a picture car and drive that car on a public road, even if that road is policed and production has traffic control.

The camera must ALWAYS be mounted on a separate vehicle. I find this hard to believe, can anyone confirm or counter this advice please?

Thanks

• Premium Member

I cannot confirm that. We use a lot of camera rigs on cars, but all on blocked roads that is. At least you need an interval block.

What exactly do you need (and where), maybe I can find something out for you?

Hi Dominic

Specifics to be confirmed but ita a car shoot, Bonnet rig, door rig, Move n Shoot rig....probably Frankfurt.

Obviously Police would be consulted, permits obtained, traffic control in place and roads closed where possible and necessary. Its a full on high end car shoot, not a student short film. The nameless facility company seem to be implying that nothing can be mounted on the car. I sure its a misunderstanding, but its one that could see the job relocating so seeking a definitive answer.

Pretty standard rigs, sounds like nothing that needs extra permits. When we are shooting here in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, if you close the road, you can do almost anything you want there, except of destroying stuff and put the public in danger, of course. And sometimes things still get damaged and then the company has to pay up, but we are still allowed to do stuff. I cannot imagine that Frankfurt has other laws concerning the permits. But I'm sorry, I cannot give you a definite yes for Frankfurt.