Zeiss prims + Pro 35 on Varicam

Thomas Buelens

• Premium Member

I've worked with the Varicam/pro35/Zeiss combo before, but only as a steadicam operator, I've never seen the footage except in my greenscreen. I obviously don't have any remarks regarding the look, but I can tell you that no matter what camera you put it on the pro35 with a prime makes the camera very long. Not as bad as the F900 obviously, but still long and heavy.

• Premium Member

I've used the Pro-35 with Super Speeds.

I've not used this set-up for any HD originated projects going back to film, so I can't comment on how happy you might be with the system if that's your post flow.

However, finishing to a video based medium, I've always been very happy - it takes just a bit of the video-ish edge off and gives you control of selecting focus without needing to use extremely long lenses (the focus works just as though you were shooting 35mm).

It does suck up battery power fast, and the adapter steals about 2 stops of light from you, so consider what your shoot calls for because you may end up coming in with more light than expected. It's also a bit heavy, so consider that for handheld or steadicam work - and don't forget to turn the device on and off between takes to conserve batteries.

I've done a few shoots where the look it gives just wasn't appropriate, so as always, head on down to the rental house, toss it up on a camera, and have a look for yourself.