2 Perf downsides?

Hey, I have been looking into shooting 2perf 35 and have heard plenty of the positive information about it. But I would like to know what the negatives are? I would not be doing a DI if I did do it, just telecine. I am in the LA area so if anyone knows of a lab that works with 2 perf also, please let me know. Thank you

Hey, I have been looking into shooting 2perf 35 and have heard plenty of the positive information about it. But I would like to know what the negatives are? I would not be doing a DI if I did do it, just telecine. I am in the LA area so if anyone knows of a lab that works with 2 perf also, please let me know. Thank you

Any lab with a Spirit should be able to handle 2-perf just fine.

Only negatives to 2-perf are:

- greater danger of a hair in the gate (check often and keep her clean)

- old beater camera conversions (know what you're getting yourself into or call us for a Penelope!)

- innappropriate viewfinder & videotap optics (on some of those old beaters)

This isn't meant to be a knock on some of the camera conversions such as the ones Bruce does. Just a warning on the condition of certain cameras I personally know are out there.

• Premium Member

Hmm, I wonder what "old beaters" Mitch is referring to? I hope not my equipment!

Both the Aaton Penelope and Panavision have 2 perf capabilities these days, but availability has been outstriped by demand much of the time from what I have read.

Mitch has it right though, don't use a worn out "beater." I guess that would apply to any format though.

There is little margin for error at the top and bottom of the gate; so hair, dirt are potentially more of an issue, though I haven't had anyone say they were having a problem with it.

That's about it. In terms of labs, film processing is the same no matter how many perfs, so any cine lab can process. In terms of telecine, as Mitch says, any Spirit is capable. Paul Korver at Cinelicious.tv has his Rank set up with a 2 perf head, he can provide low cost TK with it. Deluxe made quite a point at the 2 perf symposium at Cinegear a couple of years ago that 2 perf was no different than 4 perf or 3 perf to them.

I think all of my 2 perf rental clients so far have used 2 perf as an aquisition format for an HD or SD finish and have not done DIs.

Bruce Taylor

ww.indi35.com