Filmorama Anamorphic

Robert Szanto

Just came into possession of an old "Filmorama" anamorphic adapter from Bell and Howell. There isn't much information about it online except for the fact that it was the only 16mm anamorphic adapter designed for projection AND production. Anyone have some experience with it?

Just looking for some info until the correct step down rings arrive.

If I recall correctly, the Filmorama lens was marketed by Bell&Howell. The claim about being the only double-use 16mm anamorphic lens is not true, but it may have been the first. Nearly all 1950s amateur anamorphics by Isco, Berthiot, Möller (Bolex), S.A.T.E.C. (DyaliScope), Panavision (Superama) and Old Delft (Vistascope) were used for both taking and projecting films.

AWSM: Amateur Anamorphics

AWSM: "Wide Screen Movies Come to the Home"

Edited by Christian Appelt

I have an Old Delft Vistascope adapter because It seems to fit and work on my Konvas KSR-1 lenses.

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens1.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens3.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens2.jpg

vistascope-magad1.gif

It uses a prism with a curve face and was made in both a 1.5 x and the ultra rare 2.0 x, I of course have the 1.5 x it does work well but is virtually impossible to change focus on once it is set with these lenses. The little Konvas is also pretty cool in that a LOT of 16mm stuff will work with it. I also have a MINT Davis and Sandford Tri-vision Pepper's Ghost Effect attachment that will allow you to composite up to 3 live images in one shot! I LOVE it!!

3720_1.jpg

2c22_1.jpg

3f9e_1.jpg

4a83_1.jpg

I also have a titler for a Kodak 16mm that I want to modify to work with the Konvas, slide in a sheet of optical clear glass then experiment with titles and perhaps glass shots. Even if it doesn't work, it still might be kinda cool to try. B)

I have an Old Delft Vistascope adapter because It seems to fit and work on my Konvas KSR-1 lenses.

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens1.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens3.jpg

Vistascope16mmanamorphiclens2.jpg

vistascope-magad1.gif

It uses a prism with a curve face and was made in both a 1.5 x and the ultra rare 2.0 x, I of course have the 1.5 x it does work well but is virtually impossible to change focus on once it is set with these lenses. The little Konvas is also pretty cool in that a LOT of 16mm stuff will work with it. I also have a MINT Davis and Sandford Tri-vision Pepper's Ghost Effect attachment that will allow you to composite up to 3 live images in one shot! I LOVE it!!

3720_1.jpg

2c22_1.jpg

3f9e_1.jpg

4a83_1.jpg

I also have a titler for a Kodak 16mm that I want to modify to work with the Konvas, slide in a sheet of optical clear glass then experiment with titles and perhaps glass shots. Even if it doesn't work, it still might be kinda cool to try. B)

Yeah, I just saw an 8mm Vistascope adapter on Ebay a couple days ago. There's a video of one being used on a 5D on vimeo. Looks a bit like some of the shots from "A.I."

What exactly is a "ghost effect" adapter? Is that something you would use during principal photography, or just in post?

Exactly, If you've ever read Techniques of Special Effects of Cinematography be Raymond Fielding where is a terrific section where Pepper's Ghost Effect is used to put a woman seated and painting at an easel in the window of a miniature 10 story building. I recommend everyone read this book, there are some GREAT descriptions of old school effects and a BOON for low budget film makers. Everyone has been conned into believing CGI is the ONLY way to do visual effects when in fact, old school effects can be much cheaper, more realistic and more effective than CGI. If you've ever seen Mario Bava's Black Sabbath he used Pepper's Ghost effect very effectively in that one. I'm a HUGE fan of Bava. He always had ridicules budgets but managed to create incredible atmosphere despite this. One of my favorites is Planet of the Vampires, he managed to take a take this little horror film and turn it into an incredible piece of art.