Shooting in snow covered conditions

Julius Sokolowski

I'm going for a skiing trip next month. I will be taking my K3 with me. Since i have never shot in snow covered conditions i thought it might be good to ask you all to pitch in with some tips and tricks of the trade.

This is what i know:

I'm going to use 7270 reversal film with a daylight filter (WRATTEN No. 85). I also know that the condiitions will most likely be heavy overcast. The 7270 data sheet says that I should shoot with an exposure of 1/40 second. In the K3 it means 16 fps. I want to shoot in 24 fps (1/60).

The data sheet also states that for heavy overcast and at 1/40 exposure the lens opening should be f/5.6. The lens on the K3 can open as wide as f/1.9.

If you have any sugestions, just fire away...

Julius

Edited by Julius Sokolowski

• 4 weeks later...

Julius,

Color reversal 7270 has a rating of ISO 25 with an 85B which is pretty fine grain. My best advice would be to take your light meter with you and underexpose a tad bit - 1/3rd or maybe even 1/2 a stop at the most for every shot. This will give you a denser positive afterwards for when you directly project it. Also remember reversal stocks are more contrasty and in the snow, well ... get your "actors" to perhaps wear bright clothing.

Consider yourself fairly lucj if you do get to shoot at a T 5.6 as it is the middle of the lens and you shouldnt get any abberations. Plus the DOF isnt as narrow as when you;re shooting wide open (at a 1.9) but again, that depends on your shot as selective focus is an essentail storytelling tool in any dp's repertoire.

I'm guessing you'll be going with buddies and this will be sort of a home-movie kindesque deal for u and your buddies later. If that is the case than i wouldnt worry about it too much. If you have a crew i would recommend reflectors and maybe take along a portable battery powered light for close ups/eyelight but im guessing these are luxuries you dont have. My gut feeling is your biggest problem will be focus, which is linked of course to exposure. You could minimise soft focus by sticking with a wider selection of lenses (10mm/12mm). I've never used the camera u have but if lighting conditions do force you to shooting wider open at say a T2.0 ~ T4.0 than try to stay wider with ur lens selection -- perhaps a 10mm as that will give u more Depth of field than were to use a longer 50mm lens. And if you are dollying the wider you are, the less shaky the image will appear to an audience.

Do take along your tripod of course, and if you are going to attempt to use a narrower lens than lock the camera down before following any motion and rack the focus. Im hoping the weather prediction turns out wrong in the end so you can take advantage of the great gaffer in the sky and shoot some cool slow-mo shots.

Overcast days of course mean lots of soft light and you may be concerned the image will look flat but the contrast built into the stock may help you out with that regard. Again Bright ski gear would greatly help :)

Remember not to rush inside with the camera as condensation may occur. I read a great post either on this site or on 2-pop.com's forums about shooting in sub-zero conditions. This may help: http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%20GB/WINTER.HTM

I believe the ACM also has some info on this.

If you'de like to be extra safe and are worried about snow or maybe water/rain getting on the camera, you can build a fairly good plastic housing for the camera using a garbage bag, clothespins, an exacto knife and rubber bands. Just remember to take along lens cleaner and tissue should you have to clean the lens because you wiped out and use your common sense and dont go off a 20 foot vertical with the camera in your hands.

Dont be afraid to move with the camera on skiis -- my friend shot an awsome looking snowboarding film with his buddies with Kodak 50D and a bolex. He got lucky - nice sunny day with blue skies - gorgous highlights and the films latitude read into the shadow areas beautifully. Plus he had the luxury of shooting fairly closed down to maximise his DOF so he could hand hold the camera with both hands around chest level with a 10mm and get some cool shots while moving both behind and in front of his buddies.

Just dont go too crazy and go off 20 foot inclines but remember to have lots of fun!