Chapman Vibration Isolator

Andy_Alderslade

Hi everyone I have a shoot coming up where I will be filming in an old-people's nursing home with a cast of elderly actors and need to track a fair bit, possibly directly on the carpet with numatic wheels, a grip recommended the Chapman's Vibration Isolator to help with this imperfect situation and I was wondering what the general feeling was about it, what's its limitations are etc.

For example can you use it with a fluid head or only a geared head?

Any general thoughts on it would be great.

Many thanks,

Andy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Hi everyone I have a shoot coming up where I will be filming in an old-people's nursing home with a cast of elderly actors and need to track a fair bit, possibly directly on the carpet with numatic wheels, a grip recommended the Chapman's Vibration Isolator to help with this imperfect situation and I was wondering what the general feeling was about it, what's its limitations are etc.

For example can you use it with a fluid head or only a geared head?

Any general thoughts on it would be great.

Many thanks,

Andy

It's a great tool that in the right circumstances can be very useful. For best results combine with soft wheels on the dolly. It works best with a geared head but can also be used with a fluid head depending on the shot. Like everything there's a limit to what it can deal with but it can give some very effective results.

It's a great tool that in the right circumstances can be very useful. For best results combine with soft wheels on the dolly. It works best with a geared head but can also be used with a fluid head depending on the shot. Like everything there's a limit to what it can deal with but it can give some very effective results.

Stephen's right. But also remember that it doesn't solve everything. I once told a DP, "It isn't a magic vibration isolator." Incidentally, the Dolly Grip on "Mad Men" does a lot of the work with this setup.

Stephen's right. But also remember that it doesn't solve everything. I once told a DP, "It isn't a magic vibration isolator." Incidentally, the Dolly Grip on "Mad Men" does a lot of the work with this setup.

Thanks Stephen and Darryl, I can't thank you enough for the advice.

I think I will have to pop into Panavision to check it out!

Cheers,

Andy

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I understand why softer wheels would be better for vibrations, but is there such thing as too soft? Like on an F10, with hot gears, and an Alexa Studio, is there a possability of flat spots that need to be constantly rolled out? I found that the porta glide wheels are more smooth than caterpillars. Thoughts?