Recommended Recorder

Yancey Franco

I'm looking to buy my first recorder for sound mixing. My budget is around 2100 give or take 200. I'm going to primarily be using this recorder for indie low budget features and shorts along with webisodes and such. Now I've been looking at the sound devices 702t and 702 along with the 722. I've also been looking at the Edirol r-4 pro and the r-44. My main question is... Is it worth it to get a recorder with timecode? I've worked on a lot of shoots that don't use timecode. Is it worth the extra investment for it?

Yes, absolutely. The vast majority of mid to high end work requires time code. To be a production mixer without it would be like trying to be a carpenter without a tape measure.

-- J.S.

thats what I thought. So should I just go for the 702t or would the R-4 Pro actually be worthwhile? I'd also like to be able to record onto a backup system like a DVD-RAM drive or something of the like. I'm not sure if the 702t is able to do so or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

thats what I thought. So should I just go for the 702t or would the R-4 Pro actually be worthwhile? I'd also like to be able to record onto a backup system like a DVD-RAM drive or something of the like. I'm not sure if the 702t is able to do so or not.

Go for the 722t with the hard drive and CF card in it. You can record to both media at the same time for a backup and you can still burn to external DVD Ram (simultaneously) if you wish as all of the 7xx machines support it.