Film Friendly 8mm, Super 8, and 16mm Projectors?

Charles Watkins

Greetings- I suppose I didn't sweat much worry with using cheap consumer grade projectors when watching my super 8 movies from the mid 1970's because it's what I've had readily available since childhood. After all, having a frame being burned out whenever a belt broke on the projector when watching, was justt commonplace I thought. So was getting the endless streaks of scratches on your reels from the years of rapid rewinds. That was then, but since catching a fever for archiving 20th century media a few years ago I've come to be more thoughtful about equipment. Especially now that I have several 8mm reels of rare 1936 (bleach-dye) Type-A Kodachrome I would like to copy on digital. I've read a ton of threads and discussions about 8mm and 16mm movie camera models and recomendations, but I failed to land much information pertaining to movie projectors. I'm looking for models in both 8mm (both of reg and super) and 16mm which can be considered "film-friendly",...or at least "friendlier". The stress on film from fast rewinds is a concern, but mainly I don't want to risk buring any frames out of my films. I've thought about implementing a piece of heat-absorbing optical glass in front of the lamp housing of my old ANSCOVISION, which has always been a real blow torch! However, with so many projectors being dumped daily on junk-bay, I think I'd be better off with getting something better. Maybe some of you can help by offering some input and suggestions for models? Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your input and suggestions. Charles

Greetings- I suppose I didn't sweat much worry with using cheap consumer grade projectors when watching my super 8 movies from the mid 1970's because it's what I've had readily available since childhood. After all, having a frame being burned out whenever a belt broke on the projector when watching, was justt commonplace I thought. So was getting the endless streaks of scratches on your reels from the years of rapid rewinds. That was then, but since catching a fever for archiving 20th century media a few years ago I've come to be more thoughtful about equipment. Especially now that I have several 8mm reels of rare 1936 (bleach-dye) Type-A Kodachrome I would like to copy on digital. I've read a ton of threads and discussions about 8mm and 16mm movie camera models and recomendations, but I failed to land much information pertaining to movie projectors. I'm looking for models in both 8mm (both of reg and super) and 16mm which can be considered "film-friendly",...or at least "friendlier". The stress on film from fast rewinds is a concern, but mainly I don't want to risk buring any frames out of my films. I've thought about implementing a piece of heat-absorbing optical glass in front of the lamp housing of my old ANSCOVISION, which has always been a real blow torch! However, with so many projectors being dumped daily on junk-bay, I think I'd be better off with getting something better. Maybe some of you can help by offering some input and suggestions for models? Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your input and suggestions. Charles

Greetings- I suppose I didn't sweat much worry during my youth with using cheap consumer grade projectors when watching my (now old) super 8 movies from the mid 1970's. Probably because it's what I had readily available at the time and didn't know better. I suppose I thought having a frame or two being burned out of your film whenever the belt broke on the projector was fairly commonplace with all models. Nor did I think about the endless streaks I was scratching onto my movies when using the rapid rewind. That was then, but since catching a fever for archiving various media from the 20th century I've come to be more thoughtful about what equipment I use. Especially now that I have several 8mm reels of rare 1936 (old bleach-dye)Type A Kodachrome I would like to copy on digital, I wouldn't want to risk using a harsh projector. I've searched and read a ton of threads and discussions about 8mm and 16mm movie camera models and recomendations, but I have failed to land much information about selecting movie projectors. I'm looking for models in both 8mm (reg and super) and a 16mm which can be considered "film-friendly",...or at least "friendlier". The stress on film from fast rewinds is a concern, but mainly I don't want to risk buring any frames out of my films. I've thought about implementing a piece of heat-absorbing optical glass in front of the lamp housing of my old ANSCOVISION, which has always been a real blow torch! However, with so many projectors being dumped daily on junk-bay, I think I'd be better off with getting something better. Maybe some of you can help by offering some input and suggestions for models? Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your input and suggestions. Charles

Sorry for the double posting, I was trying to edit.