Underwater FX Plate

I have an FX shot to do where the camera is looking straight up at the sky from underwater as an actor falls face into camera (medium shot). FX department will use the shot to zoom into the body for graphics later on. The choice is to shoot in a river location with 3-4' visibility, and the potential for a bright sky above. Subject cannot be in silhouette. I can either punch him with light from underneath and hope for the best, or should I do it in a pool, fly a green screen to lay in sky later, and light him in a more controlled way?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an FX shot to do where the camera is looking straight up at the sky from underwater as an actor falls face into camera (medium shot). FX department will use the shot to zoom into the body for graphics later on. The choice is to shoot in a river location with 3-4' visibility, and the potential for a bright sky above. Subject cannot be in silhouette. I can either punch him with light from underneath and hope for the best, or should I do it in a pool, fly a green screen to lay in sky later, and light him in a more controlled way?

Hey Jim, long time no see! I saw Ian the other day, and he said you already shot this. How did you end up shooting it? Sorry you didn't get any responses beforehand, but hopefully your experience could help someone the next time. Good to see you on here!