XDcam PDW 700 Vs Canon 5D mark II

ziad Chahoud

we will be filming a sitcom next december, and I have to choose which cameras to use. this sitcom is a 60 days shooting, mostly indoor scenes. in a restaurant. so I'm wondering which camera will be the best for it: the XDcam PDW 700 or the Canon 5D mark II. I'm afraid that the canon 5D will not stand a 60 days shoot, and the synchronization with the sound recordings. although the Canon 5D has a better resolution and contrast. so please if you have some directions to help choosing my cameras, I will really appreciate it.

It really depends on the project, but in my honest opinion I think the 5D is going to present you more trouble than it's worth in post production. Not only do you have to spend a bunch of time transferring and encoding all the footage, but once you've done all that you'll be left with highly compressed material that really can't be corrected or adjusted at all.

Granted you do have a larger image sensor, but I still believe the 5D still isn't a camera that was built for the demanding workflow of filmmaking. Just my opinion, but the 5D can really become a pain in the butt in post.

I hope this helps your decision.

Later,

Dylan