film stock question

nir evron

hi

i will be shooting a short film over easter. i plan on shooting a landscape at night without any artificial lights. the scenes will be lit only by moonilght and stars. i expect the results to be dark and with low-contrast. thats what i want to achieve. i am looking for a color negative film stock. was thinking of the reala 500 pushed +1 stop. how would that film react for the push ? what about Tungsten film ? there wont be any people in the shots, just a landscape and forests. i would like to get a dark image but not a completly black one, an image that still hold details in the shadows. the sky would probably be rendered brighter than the ground. i would like to have as little grain as possible but i am aware of the speed/grain trade-off. a voice-over will be added on top of the visuals.i would appriciate any comment or suggestion...

thank you!

nir evron

nir_evron@yahoo.com

Guest Ian Marks

I'm guessing that this shot will be used as an establishing shot since it doesn't feature people or action....

If it were me, I would consider using an enlargement of a still photo rephotographed on a copy stand with the same stock you're using for associated scenes (to add grain consistent with the other shots). You can shoot the still with as long an exposure as you like, of course. You can "sell" a still shot by adding some small element of movement in post (drifting clouds, chimney smoke, birds flying in silhouette, a water element, etc.) which is easy enough to do digitally. Of course I don't know anything about your project, so this might not be right for you. There are also some tried-and-true "low-tech" ways of doing this in-camera.

Otherwise, you might try undercranking the camera to something like 6 fps to get more light onto your film. If nothing in the scene is moving, the frame rate shouldn't much matter.