The Master & Apprentice

Timothy Riese

After working as a DP/Operator in LA for almost 4 years I'm looking to further my study of the craft through an apprenticeship or mentor. My name is Timothy Riese. I graduated with a bachelor degree in Television with a film minor in 2004 from UCF in Orlando. I worked in the industry there for 3 years, interned at Adrenaline Films and Universal Studios Orlando, before moving to LA in 2007I've been working as a DP/Operator for around 4 years now in LA. I've shot many music videos, shorts films, commercials, and a handful of small features, in addition to tons of interviews for various broadcast television shows. You can watch my demos at www.timriese.com.

I'm looking for an ASC or equivalent DP that tackles many unique and large scale productions. I can light small rooms, green screens, etc, all day. It's the larger scale lighting setups that I need to learn. I'm willing to work as an operator (I should be Union eligible) or even just a 'camera intern'. I could be as hands on or off as your willing to be with me. The simple ability to be on large scale sets could be sufficient enough for what I'm looking for although what I would love to find is a talented DP willing to help take me under his wing so to speak.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in please email me at timriese@gmail.com. You can see some of my past work at www.timriese.com

THANKS!

Timothy Riese

I hope you are successful in your quest, but as I'm sure you are aware there are thousands of guys looking for the exact same thing you are.

I would like to "intern" with James Cameron, I'm guessing that's not going to happen :blink:

R,

• Premium Member

Having had a few intern/apprentices over the years I can state with authority that the biggest PITA from the Master's point of view is Apprentices who insist on challenging the Master's knowledge. As a result rather than telling the Apprentice how to do something, and them doing it, the Master's time is wasted defending their approach to something.

I've had one intern/apprentice over the years who "got it". He was raised in a family where his dad was an senior AT&T microwave and computer engineer. The son respected his dad and as a result respected my knowledge. That one runs the world-wide support operations now for one of the largest professional audio manufacturers on earth. The others are probably pulling french fries out of the fryer at McDonalds given their unwillingness to learn.

I've got a pretty good mentor/student relationship with a well known ASC member on the subject of using HDSLR's. I usually start out wanting to tell him what I think...then get smart and first ask for his opinion about the subject. Yes, in a way that's kissing his a** but he's working at the top of the profession every day and I owe him my deference based on that very fact.

I hope you are successful in your quest, but as I'm sure you are aware there are thousands of guys looking for the exact same thing you are.

I would like to "intern" with James Cameron, I'm guessing that's not going to happen :blink:

R,

Oh I'm completely aware, but it doesn't hurt to put it out there, right? I posted something like this a few years ago and got the attention of a stedicam operator/DP who's since hired me to 2nd AC a feature and then the next film I Gaffed for him. Worked out pretty good so far. They were small films, ($200k-500k) but still bigger than anything I could land on my own.

Having had a few intern/apprentices over the years I can state with authority that the biggest PITA from the Master's point of view is Apprentices who insist on challenging the Master's knowledge. As a result rather than telling the Apprentice how to do something, and them doing it, the Master's time is wasted defending their approach to something.

I've had one intern/apprentice over the years who "got it". He was raised in a family where his dad was an senior AT&T microwave and computer engineer. The son respected his dad and as a result respected my knowledge. That one runs the world-wide support operations now for one of the largest professional audio manufacturers on earth. The others are probably pulling french fries out of the fryer at McDonalds given their unwillingness to learn.

I've got a pretty good mentor/student relationship with a well known ASC member on the subject of using HDSLR's. I usually start out wanting to tell him what I think...then get smart and first ask for his opinion about the subject. Yes, in a way that's kissing his a** but he's working at the top of the profession every day and I owe him my deference based on that very fact.

I agree with what you are saying, in fact, I think one of the things that's important as an Apprentice/Intern is to know your place. Having spent time on quite a few sets I have a good feeling for 'settitquette'. The last thing you need is an intern who is telling you how to do your job in front of a client. I'm looking to soak up some good knowledge like a sponge while occasionally asking questions. I had a mentor in Florida before i moved to LA. Shooting mostly small stuff but it was the beginning of my career so everything was new to me. He constantly would quiz me while we were on set and would ask me why I thought he did certain things in certain ways to see if I 'got it'.

A good mentor is worth more than a college degree. Although i have a bachelor's degree, I'm looking for a mentor instead of a master's degree at this point.