Pl mount to c mount help

monster vs robot

I'm considering a PL to C mount adapter (I've seen them from visual products and Les Bosher in England.) I have a Bolex Rex 5 and a Beaulieu ZM2-both C mount.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of challenges in using this adapter (I know weight is a problem) I'm considering a short in Super 8 and wanted a high speed zoom for the shoot. Any comments on this setup?

Thanks,

Pierre

Guest Ian Marks

... sounds like using a howitzer to swat a fly. No... make that putting a spoiler and air dam on a 1958 Volkswagen Beetle - totally superfluous. Why would you mount a PL mount zoom (via an adapter, obviously) to a Super-8 camera (by which you must mean a Beaulieu, the only C-mount Super-8)?

For the cost of the adapter alone, you could buy yourself a cheap MOS 16mm camera and get results far superior to anything you could shoot on Super-8.

Remember, also, that one of the big drawbacks in Super-8 has always been getting a lens that provides a true wide angle - you'd need something less than 6mm, I think, and I know of no zoom in any format that goes down to 3 or 4mm. It follows that most PL-mount zooms intended for 16mm use are likely going to give you a telephoto effect even at their widest settings.

Just how fast a zoom do you need? Some of the lenses available for the Beaulieu are pretty fast, as I recall. If absolute speed is what you need, and you're determined to shoot on Super-8, there are some super-fast C-mount lenses like the f0.95 Nighthawk and f0.95 Schneider that you could fit to the Beaulieu.

... sounds like using a howitzer to swat a fly. No... make that putting a spoiler and air dam on a 1958 Volkswagen Beetle - totally superfluous. Why would you mount a PL mount zoom (via an adapter, obviously) to a Super-8 camera (by which you must mean a Beaulieu, the only C-mount Super-8)?

For the cost of the adapter alone, you could buy yourself a cheap MOS 16mm camera and get results far superior to anything you could shoot on Super-8.

Remember, also, that one of the big drawbacks in Super-8 has always been getting a lens that provides a true wide angle - you'd need something less than 6mm, I think, and I know of no zoom in any format that goes down to 3 or 4mm. It follows that most PL-mount zooms intended for 16mm use are likely going to give you a telephoto effect even at their widest settings.

Just how fast a zoom do you need? Some of the lenses available for the Beaulieu are pretty fast, as I recall. If absolute speed is what you need, and you're determined to shoot on Super-8, there are some super-fast C-mount lenses like the f0.95 Nighthawk and f0.95 Schneider that you could fit to the Beaulieu.

He's obviously shooting that Double 8 format

Since he's got a Rex 5 which is 16mm.

Check ebay (search for c-mount) there always a couple of adapters

That go for under 100 bucks usually...

(I recommend a nikon or canon to C mount these lens are cheaper to get

Than PL mount cine lens and are more good enough for what you're doing)

But Ian's advice stands true

For super 8 any zoom you find will be on the telephoto side

If you want to shoot with long lens go for it...just know what you're asking for

GOOD LUCK