Good zoom choice for 7D

Can anyone recommend an effective zoom to use on a 7D?

I'm looking for something in a wide to short tele range which has a constant aperture and would ideally have no telescoping since I use a rail mounted mattebox. I own the Tokina 11-16 which has the properties I'm looking for ie constant aperture, internal focus and zoom, though clearly the range can't really deliver a "zoom shot". I know these aren't common characteristics in SLR lenses but if anyone knows of anything which would fit my needs here I'd be very happy.

Also if there are any cine lenses which can be adapted without body mods that would also be useful info, even if the price calls for a rental.

Thanks

-ERIC

Can anyone recommend an effective zoom to use on a 7D?

I'm looking for something in a wide to short tele range which has a constant aperture and would ideally have no telescoping

-ERIC

I don't know if it has telescoping, i've not owned one, but the Canon 17-55 2.8 has image stabilization, is a recent design ( better sharpness than the older 17-40 f4) and gets good reviews except for some dust

vulnerability. Image stabilization is great for hand-holding, or use with things like shoulder mounts.

I have owned the canon 10-22 which isn't constant aperture but was so sharp and sensitive it made me want to start a religion.

Below is a screen cap from test footage in Palm Springs in movie mode on a 7D, in fairly lousy light, no corrections.

post-34466-0-48421300-1294235527.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned the canon 10-22 which isn't constant aperture but was so sharp and sensitive it made me want to start a religion.

Thanks Alain. I've taken pictures with the 10-22 and I couldn't agree more. Just wish that front element didn't zip so far out when zooming. That was the main reason I went with the Tokina over this lens.

I've been looking around online and saw that you could put many Angenieux zooms on a 7D without modifications due to their retrofocus design. My concern here is heaviness both in weight and cost but it's not a deal breaker because I think my next camera will certainly support PL glass. During my lookabout I found some Angenieux still glass! Totally affordable and seems to have a lot of quality to offer. Thinking about this one in particular.

Angenieux 28-70mm f2.6

Anyone own or have experience with one? Does the front element extend when zooming? I was unable to find the answer to that for either the 17-55 mentioned by Alain or the Angenieux. Still photographers just don't care!

Thanks,

-ERIC

• Premium Member

Anyone own or have experience with one? Does the front element extend when zooming? I was unable to find the answer to that for either the 17-55 mentioned by Alain or the Angenieux. Still photographers just don't care!

Thanks,

-ERIC

My EF-S 17-55mm extends when zoomed. As I've posted elsewhere: It's a gorgeous lens but being a still lens you can't shoot docco style, no zooming in to focus then zooming out to frame. My Angenieux 20-120mm T2.9 does not extend when zoomed, the zoom mechanism is internal.

My EF-S 17-55mm extends when zoomed. As I've posted elsewhere: It's a gorgeous lens but being a still lens you can't shoot docco style, no zooming in to focus then zooming out to frame. My Angenieux 20-120mm T2.9 does not extend when zoomed, the zoom mechanism is internal.

WOW! That's big range. Is this Angenieux a cine lens? It's a "T" 2.9 so I'm assuming so, also because it's so rare to find a still lens which doesn't extend the front element. (being a non issue in still photography) I don't particularly care about using the lens to zoom and retreat for focus, because the 7D and most modern digital camera offer a 1:1 mode for focus. (or even more, 5x 10x on 7D) Currently the monitor I use for my 1st AC has a 1:1 mapping function during shooting which few low end cameras support. (7D, 5D, etc) I'm just looking for glass which won't reap vengeance on my matte box filters when zooming in for a close up. Granted, I could use a clamp on box instead of a rail mounted one... but the build of still lenses just doesn't seem up to holding the weight requirements.

-ERIC

• Premium Member

WOW! That's big range. Is this Angenieux a cine lens? It's a "T" 2.9 so I'm assuming so, also because it's so rare to find a still lens which doesn't extend the front element. (being a non issue in still photography) I don't particularly care about using the lens to zoom and retreat for focus, because the 7D and most modern digital camera offer a 1:1 mode for focus. (or even more, 5x 10x on 7D) Currently the monitor I use for my 1st AC has a 1:1 mapping function during shooting which few low end cameras support. (7D, 5D, etc) I'm just looking for glass which won't reap vengeance on my matte box filters when zooming in for a close up. Granted, I could use a clamp on box instead of a rail mounted one... but the build of still lenses just doesn't seem up to holding the weight requirements.

-ERIC

Yes, it's an older Angenieux motion picture camera design. For years it was the "weapon of choice" on Mitchell BNCR's shooting sitcoms which is why a lot of them were in BNCR...like mine. It's a big and heavy lens, I'd have to go get it out of its case and measure it for sure but I'm going to guess the overall length is around 16" and the front element is around 5". It weighs maybe 6 pounds. Used with a DSLR it can't be hung off the camera, it's going to need rod support. I've got an Ultracam mattebox and rod setup designed for it with a zoom motor and remote controller.

It weighs maybe 6 pounds.

Woa! Thats a big boy lens. Sounds like like this is a scenario where you mount the camera on the lens. Found one of these on Ebay it's a bit more than I have to spend at the moment. It would also be nice to find something a wee bit smaller too I like that my camera is small and nimble, It's just a bummer I can never get a zoom shot. And changing lenses when I'm shooting alone is a bit of a pain.

Anyone else out there find a still zoom that doesn't telescope yet??

-ERIC

• 2 weeks later...

The Nikon 50 - 300 f4.5 doesn't telescope

and it's parfocal which is probably what you're after.

Weighs 2.3kg and it's quite long though.

The Non-ED version occasionally goes for ~£150 GBP on ebay ED versions are ~£500 but not entirely uncommon.

Seems to tick all the boxes.

(anyone here from the UK? This is my first post. I'm a student)

Peace.