Subtle handheld work

Hampus Bystrom

Hey, long time, no post... Making. I hope this hasn't been discussed extensively before.

Anyway, basically I can't afford a steadi-operator for my next film, nor can I afford to transport huge amounts of rails where we're going. So therefore I've decided to shoot handheld, mostly after having seen Ridley Scott's Alien where Scott himself does some great, subtle handheld work. Obviously, in an ideal world, artistic vision should never suffer to economic constraints. Unfortunately I live in the real world of independent, no-budget, cinema. My worry is that handheld suggest subjective camera, documentary or drags attention to the operator. All of which I don't want, the film's look should very much echo seeking control in nature, which is ultimately uncontrollable. I suppose you could argue that steadicam and dollies are all attempts to control nature, but I don't want to get too philosophical here. The floating camera for me makes the camera almost godlike and inhuman, which is what I want. Now, what I want to ask is; do you guys know of any, great, handheld work that moves with the actors without dragging to much attention to itself and doesn't feel documentary in style? Is this an impossible request and I should just man-up and pay a steadicam operator four times the wages of my "normal" crew?

Share your thoughts please!

...Now, what I want to ask is; do you guys know of any, great, handheld work that moves with the actors without dragging to much attention to itself and doesn't feel documentary in style? Is this an impossible request and I should just man-up and pay a steadicam operator four times the wages of my "normal" crew?

Share your thoughts please!

Check out the 35mm handheld operating of Dante Spinotti in "The Insider" — the camera is practically sitting on Russel Crowe's shoulder while he frantically moves around in a near dark house. Amazing stuff.

Make sure you get your camera well balanced and heavy (not comfy, but eliminates some shake). Than use a plug in like Mercalli http://www.prodad.com/home/products/videostabilizing/300391667,l-us.xhtml and stabilize your footy.

You can control the way the shake is eliminated and camera dynamics very precise, to get your "god camera".

Frank