who's seen tests?

steacy

I'm a film guy, who's been approached to shoot a low budget feature on mini dv. I'm a bit scared of it to be honest but I'm trying to overcome my apprehension and plunge into the new technology. The question is.... has anyone ever done a product vs. product test of the leading cameras to determine how they all hold up. So far, I've been most impressed with the results I've seen online of the XL2/mini35 adapter, but I just haven't seen enough examples. Where do I go to see comparable examples of the DVX100, and the sony HDV camera, or any other similar products I may not be aware of yet?

• Premium Member

I'd said the XL2 would be the better choice. It's got the 24p and the 16x9 chip. You probably don't want that sony HD thing. It shoots interlaced (60i). If I was you I'd take the money you'll be spending on the mini35 and invest in one of the two manual lenses from Canon, a nice matte box, and follow focus. You could shoot some pretty nice stuff with that setup. And don't forget some nice lights. They're the dv dude's best friend. Good luck.

How about some online examples of really nice looking mini dv footage? So far the only dv footage I've seen that really impressed me was the Praxis trailer, and the mini 35 demo reel stuff - both shot with an XL2 and mini 35 adapter. Does anybody else have dv footage that looks this good - or better?

ps- lighting-wise, I have access to a decent package truck so no worries there, and I'm pretty set on the mini35 adapter because I can't stand that near-infinite depth-of-field look that results from the miniscule 1/3 inch chip.

Edited by steacy

• Premium Member
How about some online examples of really nice looking mini dv footage?  So far the only dv footage I've seen that really impressed me was the Praxis trailer, and the mini 35 demo reel stuff - both shot with an XL2 and mini 35 adapter.  Does anybody else have dv footage that looks this good - or better?

ps- lighting-wise, I have access to a decent package truck so no worries there, and I'm pretty set on the mini35 adapter because I can't stand that near-infinite depth-of-field look that results from the miniscule 1/3 inch chip.

Any camera in the same price range makes just about the same picture. I prefer the look of the XL2 ever so slightly to its competitors. The HDV camera in DV mode is a DV camera and DOES NOT make a better picture. For the price, you have to decide what accessories you like and features but the cameras are really all the same.

See this:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/dv-5-cameras.htm