Best ways of advertising your video production business?

Alastair Cauldwell

Hello all.

I am a recent film graduate and I have been doing little bits of freelance work for a couple of years but now I am working full time to get my production business off the ground. It comprises of myself and a sound recordist. We have nearly a full month of work in April which is great but I'm struggling to get work for March and beyond April.

We do lots of different types of projects including corporate, promotional, music videos, documentary (usually for charities) etc. I am sure there a lots of people on this forum who run this type of production business, could anyone help me by reccomending some ways to get more work?

I have tried lots of different ways of advertising both free and paid but I don't think I got even one of my customers from it! Maybe people don't want to tell their amazing marketing secrets but I could really do with some help if anyone has any tips or advice.

Thanks in advance.

Alastair

Just one opinion...

While you might truly be capable of shooting everything under the sun, it might help if you specialize in just one or two types of production. If there is any "secret" to keeping busy in the film and video industry, it has to do with who you know and who knows you. Doing great work for one person who gets to know you and like you can lead to you being recommended to other people and companies who need your expertise and skill.

Fair or not, there are prejudices in the "industry." So, for example, people tend to look down on anyone who shoots weddings for a living. Others look down on people who shoot corporate video or music videos or anything else that isn't a hundred million dollar feature film.

So, keep that in mind as you advertise yourself and your company.

Just one opinion...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Maybe later down the line I will focus on specific types of work but at the moment I've only just started shooting professionally. For example I am shooting my first music video for a client soon which I'm very excited for.

One problem is that when I meet clients, they aren't too sure about me because of my age (21) and I have to convince them to trust me and pay me. Once we get over that hurdle it's always fine and I've never had an unhappy customer.

I'm very grateful to be shooting and getting paid for it at a young age but getting consistant work is very tough. Just wondering if anyone can advice me on what routes to take and how to get myself out there.

Edited by Alastair Cauldwell

I'm very grateful to be shooting and getting paid for it at a young age but getting consistant work is very tough. Just wondering if anyone can advice me on what routes to take and how to get myself out there.

There are no magic bullets. It just takes time. Get out and shoot and keep shooting. Over time, your name will get known and you will get jobs without ever having to pick up a phone. But it takes time and patience and perseverance....and, I can't stress this enough... keep your financial overhead low. That way, without a lot of bills that you have to pay, you are free to take low-paying jobs that can be great opportunities. If you have too many bills, that creates the need for you to take work that you'd rather not take (in the business or out of it) then you're not free to do what you want to do.