Help finding a cheap video transmitter/reciever system

The production company I work for asked me for help putting together a wireless system for video village. Right now, they normally shoot with three hvx 2000's and run cable back to the monitors.

We have rented wireless systems in the past, steigler and avalon, and the producers asked me to look into a system they could purchase. The biggest issue is, they want a more cost effective solution than the systems I saw at filmtools. I am looking for a cheap wireless transmitter/receiver that can be powered off battery, mount onto an hvx and also transmit the sd signal at most 50 yards back to the monitors, most of our shoots are inside a studio and the cameras are less than 10 yards from video village all the time.

The production uses the 900 frequency range for on camera equipment so they also wanted the system to be as far away from that range as possible.

I've been having a harder time searching for info on this topic than I imagined and if there is a relevant post I missed, please direct me towards it. I really should be more informed on this subject and any help or references are appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got quite a bit of experience with the CamWave system from IDX.

It does a great job most of the time, but it has fairly limited range in my experience. It's not cheap, but certainly cheaper than the Boxx system.

The image it transmits looks great, and it can be powered from V-mount batteries OR via 4pin XLR

• Premium Member

I would steer clear of the camwave. I used it extensively for the last show I did and it was awful. The receivers have to be so close you might as well hardline.

Going on an HVX is tricky, since I don't remember them having P-tap power outlets. Does the camera have any kind of power tap?

• Premium Member

Camwaves are a rehoused wifi-based system meant for transmitting a television signal through a wall or two in a house. IDX stuck them in a housing and charges way too much money for them.

Since an HD signal is not needed, I would probably want something like a canatrans. The problem will be powering it on a camera that, as far as I know, has no accessory power source.

Camwaves are a rehoused wifi-based system meant for transmitting a television signal through a wall or two in a house. IDX stuck them in a housing and charges way too much money for them.

Since an HD signal is not needed, I would probably want something like a canatrans. The problem will be powering it on a camera that, as far as I know, has no accessory power source.

If it's a 12v accessory, you could look into some of Switronix's offerings:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/559678-REG/Switronix_XP_DV_P20_XP_DV_P20_Adapter_cable_20.html

But you would of course need large Anton Bauer batteries that have 2 p-taps or a splitter.