Is it possible to shoot the stars?

Spalding Hamsun

I want to make a shot of a house on a prairie at night. It will be shot wide: we will see the lights on in the house and the stars buring in the sky above the house. Is this even possible? I am shooting digital on a Panasonic GH1, though I do have access to a Canon 5D II (which is supposed to be better in low light)

Thanks in advance

It will take quite a bit of effort, though you may find the process personally rewarding, but I think the chances that you will get exactly what you are looking for is remote. If you're planning to see the interior lights, they will be much brighter than any starlight, so you'll have to use two separate exposure and marry them later, in which case it would be so much easier to just paste in a suitable starfield from stock or create one in post: http://aestuff.myleniumstuff.de/?tag=starfield

Stars are actually suns - some freakin huge ones at that, including galaxies of them ...

Its just that their virtually infinite brightness is reduced to nothing due to their virtually infinitely small viewable section here on earth (one exception being our very own sun), most stars sections (a literally astronomical proportion of them) when focused are so small that they fall within a photosite or silver grain area of your frame, because of this you need to accumulate exposure over time... This same time will cause the houselights to blow out (even though they are no where near as bright as the stars)

I must look up the answer to why the sky appears black however - something to do with universal expansion or something ;)