Which Video Camera

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting into Event Videography.

I am on a $2000 budget for a camera. Narrowed it down to;

Sony NEX-VG10 (...does not offer 24P, no RAW, and has interchangeable lens)

Sony HDR-FX7 (Dated, uses DV Tapes, no interchangeable lens as I understand.)

both are listed at $2000 although I've seen the NEX-VG10 listed for $1600 on a website. is this a apples to apples comparison? or do I just save my cash and purchase a really dated professional 2nd hand Cannon XL2 on Ebay?

...any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm in the lucky position of having a Sony HVR-Z5, but have used the FX1 for BBC regional reports (NCA) for years.

So, forget interchangeable lenses, forget HDV ring poor old tape!

Just shoot good footage and people will buy it. Edit it well and people will be falling over themselves for your skills.

I'm stepping "back" from 220mbps (Z5+Atamos Ninja) to 16mm and people (here in the uk) are loving the "retro" look.

Very best of luck,

Simon

Mediahound Films

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting into Event Videography.

I am on a $2000 budget for a camera. Narrowed it down to;

Sony NEX-VG10 (...does not offer 24P, no RAW, and has interchangeable lens)

Sony HDR-FX7 (Dated, uses DV Tapes, no interchangeable lens as I understand.)

both are listed at $2000 although I've seen the NEX-VG10 listed for $1600 on a website. is this a apples to apples comparison? or do I just save my cash and purchase a really dated professional 2nd hand Cannon XL2 on Ebay?

...any thoughts?

Yes, my thoughts are A)what do you mean by "event photography"? and B )Potential clients generally tell YOU which format they need in the non-narrative "video" world so you use whatever camera it takes on a project by project basis. Most of my clients ONLY use HDCAM for their biggest jobs. Smaller projects (or longer term) will use something like an HDV or EX3. Some "event coverage" shoots actually still use BetaSP.

The point is that if you purchase a camera, be prepared for it to sit at home while you go rent whatever camera you really need.

• 2 weeks later...

I would save your money for now. Get in good with the local rental houses, production companies, and film communities. Get a good list of everyone you can rent from and the gear they have.

That way you will get to test out a few different cameras and see what you like working with best. You will also get an idea of what accessories you will be needing. After a couple of projects you might realize you need a better mic, longer cables, filters and all sorts of little gadgets

At that point you will have made a few bucks and have a better idea what kind of budget you will be needing.