shutter angle on a DSLR

john slately

I was hoping someone could explain to me the relationship between shutter, shutter angle and frames per second with concern to a DSLR. My canon 5DmkII has options for 24 or 30fps, and shutter speeds going from 1/30 (for active liveview) to 1/8000, how do those shutter speeds affect the shutter angle (which is limited to 360deg)?

I know that to replicate a "film look", I should set my fps to 24 and my shutter to 1/50 as that's the closest approximation to 1/48 (which is equal to a shutter angle of 180deg, 180/360 * 24 = 48).

I've read that a few major tentpole films are now being shot at 60fps, what would the shutter speed/angle be for that? Is a reasonably similar look attainable with the 5DmkII?

How about on the opposite spectrum, what shutter speed/angle is best for a "Phantom camera" like look with additional slowing in post? I would think I need to increase the fps to 30 and use a faster shutter speed (1/250?) to get clearer frames for the time remapping in post.

I hope someone here could enlighten me, thank you.

Edited by john slately

• Premium Member

I was hoping someone could explain to me the relationship between shutter, shutter angle and frames per second with concern to a DSLR. My canon 5DmkII has options for 24 or 30fps, and shutter speeds going from 1/30 (for active liveview) to 1/8000, how do those shutter speeds affect the shutter angle (which is limited to 360deg)?

I know that to replicate a "film look", I should set my fps to 24 and my shutter to 1/50 as that's the closest approximation to 1/48 (which is equal to a shutter angle of 180deg, 180/360 * 24 = 48).

I've read that a few major tentpole films are now being shot at 60fps, what would the shutter speed/angle be for that? Is a reasonably similar look attainable with the 5DmkII?

How about on the opposite spectrum, what shutter speed/angle is best for a "Phantom camera" like look with additional slowing in post? I would think I need to increase the fps to 30 and use a faster shutter speed (1/250?) to get clearer frames for the time remapping in post.

I hope someone here could enlighten me, thank you.

The "normal" shutter angle you're looking for is always going to be 1/(2xframerate). At 60fps, this would be 1/120th. For the best shutter speed for slowing things down in post, I think you'd have to test it.

The "normal" shutter angle you're looking for is always going to be 1/(2xframerate). At 60fps, this would be 1/120th. For the best shutter speed for slowing things down in post, I think you'd have to test it.

thanks for the tip!

I might be wrong, but I guess you're talking about that one movie currently being shot at 48fps, mostly because "they" say it's better for 3D.

Why would you shoot at higher frame rate than 24fps with your DSLR (or any other camera)?

Anyway, Chris is right: do some tests and then choose what looks better for yourself! :-)