Buying a camera

Praetorian

Guest Tim van der Linden

I would most definitely NOT recommend getting that camera. However, at the price range you listed you're really not going to be able to get much as far as decent cameras go. The CCD on this camera is half the size of most of the higher end prosumer camcorders, it looks like it's only 1 CCD and doesn't even allow you to manually operate the aperture.

You could probably find a cheap bolex on ebay for your budget, but if you don't have much money then 16mm is probably out of the question. I think the best thing you could do is to save up, I just looked on ebay and saw that you can get a used XL-1 for around $1000, and a used GL1 for a bit less. Those would definitely be more worth your while, although they're getting considerably outdated as well.

What's your goal for this camera? If you're planning on making films with it and having anybody see them, I would strongly recommend saving up, but if you just want a camcorder to point and shoot with your friends, then this would be fine.

I just looked on ebay and saw that you can get a used XL-1 for around $1000, and a used GL1 for a bit less.  Those would definitely be more worth your while, although they're getting considerably outdated as well.

The infinite dilemma with all video equipment. I still wonder why it is that people think it's okay to invest in video gear but when it comes to 16mm/35mm gear it's always "rent!". The only explanation I can think of is that they shoot much less film than tape.

- G.

I know you have your heart set on inexpensive video, but i would suggest looking in to super8 film. A camera can be picked up at a second hand store or garage sale for some times as low as $10 and the cartridges range from $8-$25. If you would like to send your film away to the address Kodak suggests processing is free with some types of film . Most filmmakers don't like doing this and i don't know any one who has so theres labs that will process super 8 cartridges for $25 but you will spend more on the telecine sometimes lots more. I use exclusive labs & transfer in Toronto but theres lots of labs out there in the U.S.

Most consumer video cameras look ok on the little LCD screen but at home on the tv look like complete garbage, and pro consumer video has never been so accessible at $5000 for a camera. Just think of all the super 8 film you could buy for that.

My own personal preference is the look of super8 student films vs ones done with inexpensive video cameras and super8 has some better festival opportunity's for exhibition. The quality of super 8 can look anywere like old homemovies to almost as good as 16mm with good processing and transfers(www.super8sound.com)

Check out http://www.super8filmmaking.com/

Hey Phantom's_Christine,

From what I've seen, super 8 can look really cool. It kind of depends more on your lighting, stock (if you choose film) filters and things of that nature than it does on which camera end up buying. You can make a great super 8 short if you light it well and learn how to use your camera.

And they really are cheap on Ebay. 10$-200$ can get you a nice camera with a decent zoom lens to start practicing on.

Good luck and have fun with it,

JonS

Thanks, I was looking at those. I am just scared of buying cameras off of ebay cause I'm the type of person that is easy to scam since I know diddly squat.

But, I have it on good authority that my comm dept. at my college loans cameras out to students so I might have access to one that way. I just sent an email to my TV productions teacher to confirm. Of course, they are all DVs, but that is better than nothing.