Bare Burning Bulbs

Hey guys, so I'm doing a short film in a couple weeks, and my DP wants to do about 15 bare burning bulbs hanging from overhead. What would be the most cost effective way to do this while taking amperage in to account. We would be using either 150Watt or 60Watt bulbs, depending on whats feasible. and would be using available AC power at the location which is a house, and we dont have the option of generator, or any kind of lunch box or anything like that. So basically, what materials will we need?

Thanks guys

Shane Martin Smith -

• Premium Member

The rule of thumb is one Amp for every 100 Watts. Ordinary residential circuits are either 15 or 20 Amps. So, you could go with 15 100 Watt bulbs, provided that there's nothing else in use on the circuit. Or, you could run extension cords to get power from different circuits. You'd have to wire your bulbs in two or three separate strings.

If the house is really old you may have problems, but with any modern house, you should be able to find enough juice. Current code requires a 20 Amp circuit dedicated only to the laundry, which is usually an easy one to grab. The kitchen also is supposed to have two separate 20 Amp circuits, but that code change is newer than the laundry one.

-- J.S.

The rule of thumb is one Amp for every 100 Watts. Ordinary residential circuits are either 15 or 20 Amps. So, you could go with 15 100 Watt bulbs, provided that there's nothing else in use on the circuit. Or, you could run extension cords to get power from different circuits. You'd have to wire your bulbs in two or three separate strings.

If the house is really old you may have problems, but with any modern house, you should be able to find enough juice. Current code requires a 20 Amp circuit dedicated only to the laundry, which is usually an easy one to grab. The kitchen also is supposed to have two separate 20 Amp circuits, but that code change is newer than the laundry one.

-- J.S.

The laundry tip will help a lot, I appreciate it. I'm thinking maybe I can grab some power from the neighbors also, because primarily I would like to keep the bare burning stuff in the house were shooting in, and then maybe run some stingers from the neighbors house for the four 650's & china ball, but yeah the laundry circuit will definitely help out.

As far as wiring, 13 gauge wire should be fine right? For 100Watt Bulbs?