Alfa 4K

sandeep sony

its a beautiful light. Comparing it to an Arri Par, a better comparison is this: K5600 makes the Joker 400 and the Blackjack 400 - both use the same lamp, ballast, cables, but the quality of light is very different - the Joker is a par, the blackjack is a fresnel (looks like a baby alpha) - par is an ugly, lumpy beam but very punchy, and with spread lenses and diffusion you can clean it up and use it in a lot of situations - like all Pars. Fresnel is a very smooth beam with a lot of focus options and clean shadows, though less brute force.

The Alpha will have less throw/punch than a par fixture like the arri, but a much cleaner beam - it's a true fresnel - the lamp moves in/out towards the fresnel lens. Another cool thing about the Alpha/blackjack is the ability to pull the lens - I have a couple of the blackjacks and can speak to how clean the shadow is - it's a razor sharp and incredible even field that's wide enough to throw the shadow of the accessory slots. If you want film-noir razor-sharp shadows, the Alpha/Blackjack can rival dedicated single-shadow broadlights like the Arri X light and Desisti Goya.

Basically, it's fresnel vs. par - which ever suits your needs. The Alpha is just a very clever and compact 4K fresnel that has the additional benefit of being easily run without a lens. I'm in the process of selling my jokers because I find that I like using my blackjacks (fresnel) better - the ability to use a fixture without diffusion is nice. To each situation there's a different solution, but if you're looking for a 4K fresnel, the Alpha is VERY nice.

If I was in the market for a 4k at the moment I wouldnt go past the Arri Max 4/2.5. I havnt had a chance to play with one yet, but going by what arri is saying, and there previous results with the M18 which I have had the pleasure if using it will be an impressive piece of gear.