Seeking a DP to shoot a trailer for a feature film on spec

Seeking a Director of Photography to shoot a trailer for a feature film on spec in the New York tri-state area. This is an unpaid job and the trailer will be part of a pitch-package for us to get funding and build a team for shooting the feature itself.

The script, “The Hard Candy Kid,” was written over a two year period and is a groundbreaking tragicomedy set in a fairytale version of America. Part-fiction, part documentary, it calls for visual styles as varied as vintage Technicolor and gritty black and white news reel footage. If the right DP were onboard--this film would put them on the map. (Films of interest/influence to this project: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, The Night of the Hunter, Dr. Strangelove, The Wizard of Oz, A Clockwork Orange, JFK)

As the Writer/Director of this film--who also comes from a DP background--I’m looking for someone extremely artistic, ambitious and collaborative. Someone who wants to change cinema and believes it can be done with an independent film.

It goes without saying that the DP of the trailer will have the top slot at being considered to shoot the feature itself (which will be paid).

I believe the trailer will stand alone as a work of art in it's own right. Contact me if you are interested and let me know about your experience and ambitions as a cameraman. I can send you the synopsis of the film and the script for the trailer. We also have a video of a "text-based" animatic version of it I can send you a link for. We want to shoot this sometime between October 24-31st --ideally on the RED Camera.

Please message me personally with any questions. bealsonwheels AT GMAIL dot com

Thank You!

Edited by Matthew Beals

Update on the above: It is now paid.

4 day shoot at $200/day. If you are the owner of a camera body or accessories we would rent that from you at an additional rate. This is the opportunity to get on the ground floor of an exciting project and to gain the top slot at consideration for shooting the feature itself.

We want to shoot this during the final week of October or the first week of November (TBD). We will shoot on either the RED Camera or Canon 5D--your participation will influence this decision.

contact me at bealsonwheels AT gmail dot com

While it is admirable to make some attempt to pay SOMETHING to a DP for work, that's less than a stagehand gets paid to push a box around all day, than a postman gets deliver the mail.

I've seen posts on the Steadicam Forum where they were FURIOUS at operators for going out for less than $500 per day, before equipment.

Tell me that the choice of camera isn't influenced by the DP having to have the camera because you can't afford rental. . .

Is there a crew, or is the DP expected to backup, operate, pull focus, and slate as well? Is there anyone in electric, a decent lighting package? Dolly, tripod?