Slow Mo 16--Camera or Post?

Justin Marx

Shooting a football scene in a nice open field (16mm)

What we want is your Joe Blow "hero of the moment" running for the touchdown in dramatic slow motion.. Itttttttssssssss Goooooooooood! BAM! back to normal speed..

We have a film budget that will kill us if we have to shoot at anything over 24fps. we're using a CP-16 (didn't the dinosaurs invent that?)

--Can we get away with shooting it at 24 and slowing it down in post?

--Will it look choppy?

--Is 16mm more forgiving or less than 35mm trying this?

--We cant, BUT If it will look like CRAPOLA, would speeding it up to around 38 do the trick?

Thank you very much for taking the time..

- - Justin

Guest Ian Marks

With your limited budget, you may want to spend $75 bucks for an old Filmo that will run at 64 fps (I don't think that the 38 fps on the CP will cut it). You can also use the Filmo handheld for grab shots during the game (in the huddle, etc.). If 64 fps won't cut it, you could consider slowing your shot digitally using Twixtor or a similar program which will intelligently interpolate your frames to produce a decent slo-mo look. That's if you have access to the computer stuff, of course.

I just telecine'd some Vision 1 200T that I shot on a Filmo 70KRM at 48fps. The image was beautiful, just what I was going for.

Thank you all for your advice.. I have what I have, and have to make do with that.. There is no getting another camera.. I know there editing on an AVID..

--My question that remained unanswered is: If I shoot at 24fps can I slow it down in post without it looking choppy?? We are shooting standard 7246(250D) 16mm with a CP-16.. Thats what we have..

--Should I just scratch the slow motion??

I mean come on, there must be an old school way.

Like what would happen if I shot at 12FPS, sped up the action, transfered at 24?Would that work? Or would I be back at square one?

Thanks again for your time..

- - Justin