Shooting Underwater - HAALP!!!

Apu

Hi,

Is there anyone here who happens to own a 3-chip DV camera w/ underwater housing willing to help a colleague on the east coast (Buffalo/Ithaca NY) out?

I'm DPing a 10 min short which ends in an underwater shot. We're shooting the rest of the film on 16mm so all our money is going to Kodak, the lab, and on food/coffee. I'm sure everyone was a student or working for free at some stage so have been there, done that, know that situation.

We've got all the other gear (lights-2K's/1K's/650s, an Aaton LTR/Bolex) but do not have an underwater housing to do this shot ourselves. Nor do we really have the experience to do this on our own. We have a pool secured (insurance/ medical expert - everything taken care of) here in Ithaca, NY (the college offers insurance up to $100,000) but are having real problems securing a camera/w housing within our budget range. We had a generous offer from a colleague in Canada but that ended up out of our price range in the end (plus it involved carting lights that don't belong to us across the border). Our school would be really MAD at us if they ever found out as we're not allowed to take school equipment out of the US.

Up to today, our closest bet was AbelCine in NYC (they have an XTR Prod housing that could work with our Aaton LTR). Hell, I was even ready to call in some favours and beg for an XTR Prod body if it came down to that. But the director just informed me today that he doesnt have the $270 Abel is asking for that unit for one day so I'm sitting here banging my head against the table PRAYING at this point. Maybe if Abel were to come down a bit in price we could afford it but also there's the added time/money-loss of driving out to the city, picking up the housing, driving back to Ithaca, NY, shooting the shot (which is really simple - just one shot of the actor descending in water), and then driving back. I know, I have real problems, tell me abt. it.

Ideally, I'm praying for someone to read this post, someone who LOVES underwater work, someone who doesn't really need money too badly or can empathize with our financial situation (I can pay you in Kind - cook you some real tasty curry), or someone who has always been looking for the chance to work more underwater ... We understand that nothing is free in this world. At the most Eric (the director/producer) probably afford to pay $100-$200 MAX for your gear/services which I know isn't much but what to do, we honestly can't afford more. It won't take all day, i promise. It's just one shot of a guy falling and descending into a pool. Sure we can take it several times but even then, maximum the shoot shouldnt go over 2 hours.

We ARE willing to come out to where you are -- provided its not LA *grin* thanks ZZalgernoN for that offer -- cos that's too expensive and I will cook you the best chicken curry/channa masala you've ever had personally and bring you any indian spice/desert you want from the store I'm working at near Pittsburg, PA right now if that helps :). So if you are on the east coast/ near NY state and are chuckling to yourself at this brazenly desperate/woeful sounding post, and think you may be able to make an eager film crew very happy, please either reply here or email Eric Battin at ebattin1@ithaca.edu. My email for condolences/recipies, etc. is apuchandola@gmail.com.

At this point, we don't care what format we shoot this shot in: 16mm, miniDV, whatever - we just really NEED this shot to complete the film. Please guys, if you can help, let me know. Even if you know any rental place on the east coast that does cameras/housings, that would help too as we can call and find out if we can afford them - I'm guessing most probably not though :(. I had a dream last night where I sunk a gigantic $150 mirror in the water and was shooting from the diving board ... take that Mr. Cameron *grin*

Cheers!

Apu

Go to http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343 and start a thread saying what you are looking for. You may get someone in your area that will help you out. Many of these folks are skilled scuba divers but amateur videographer so you may have to be patient and walk them through what you need. Realize also you are not skilled with underwater photography and mostly the underwater guy will have to be patient with you.