Experience with LabLights?

I have a shoot coming up where I have to light a large, daylight exterior at 1500fps, about 200'-250' across. I'm planning on using 2x 150k Luminys LabLights, I'd like to ask the folks that have used them what their experience was in regards to output, throw and reliability.

Thanks,

Greg Wilson

• Premium Member

Hey Gregory,

I'm not aware of the LabLites coming in wattages higher than 30K. You might mean a 100K SoftSun perhaps? The SoftSuns are great. They are pretty huge... and HOT, but they do have punch and are flicker-free. They are difficult to gel and would normally require a custom made over-sized frame (and spliced gel sheet) in order to keep the gel from melting or losing it's color integrity as a result of the lamp's heat. The beam pattern is somewhat rectangular (as is the lamp's design) and the shadow cast is rather unique since it is created by a globe that is long and thin. Similar to the shadow cast from a single Flo tube, only a bit more faceted since the globe in the SoftSun is clear.

You can look up the colorimetry and measure it accurately with a traditional color temp meter.. unlike LED's, so it's possible to get predictable results from that lamp. There are a few sources for output and beam pattern information... one being the Light Source Ap (LS) for I-Phone. James Maguire included information for the SoftSun in that Ap.

It's a hot, bright lamp so bring your gloves and your sunglasses!

Good luck!

Shelly

Thanks Shelly,

As far as I know, the 150K's are new. They are, basically, an overloaded 100K SoftSun that run for 8-10 seconds. Its a hi-speed shot so thats all I'll need. I looked into using the Musco Light but I'm concerned about potential flicker, the LabLights run on pure DC current so I know they'll be none. I looked over all the data sheets I could find and they definitely seem to be the ticket for what I'm doing. My concern is that anything pushed to its limits will show its faults. I'll have spare bulbs, batts etc but its a time sensitive gig. Has anyone here used the 150K lablights for repeated goes a day? I should have about 10-15 runs a day on this project.

Thanks again for your insight,

greg