The camera conundrum

Jason Mann

I will hopefully be shooting a doc in June of this year and I'm having trouble making a camera choice. Unless budget miracles occur and we shoot on 16mm, I think I'd like to shoot on MiniDV.

I've used the DVX-100 a bunch, and I'm thinking of buying the 100A in time to shoot this summer. But should I wait? Will there be any new cameras by then (maybe Canon?) Does anyone know of any breakthroughs on the horizon that would make renting a better option?

I don't want to buy a DVX and then see a 24P XL1 come out in August for the same price. On the other hand, I really like the look of the Panasonic.

In short, "Help!"

thanks in advance for the advice...

There's always the possibility of something debuting at the NAB show next month, so I'd certainly wait until then and look for the various internet reports for news. But generally the launches at NAB are for higher end pro gear and they're usually sneaked or pre-announced as Sony, Panasonic and others have done. Rare is the item that magically appears on the show floor, although it has happened. If such a product does debut in April, don't expect it to become available for purchase for several months.

I guess the short answer to your question is why NOT wait? If something great might come along soon it only behooves you to hold back a bit. As the time for your shoot approaches, you should make your purchase so that you have plenty of time to experiment and get comfortable with your gear. But other than that there is no compelling reason to buy now.