Dear filmmakers,

I remember watching a commercial about tropical fruit. The DP had created a tropical mistic look with wet fruit hitting a table and being sliced. It looked like the background was white and out of focus, the fruit was sharp and crisp and the water on them was very sharp and visible, it all looked slowed down and blurry in some areas.

I really need to know how to get an a effect close to that using a home DV camera.

What type of background, shutter, lens, and lighting would be required.

I understand that this is a long difficult question but I would really appreciate a honest helpfull reply. :(

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

Constantine

>>wet fruit hitting a table and being sliced.

>>background was white and out of focus, the fruit was sharp and crisp

>>the water on them was very sharp and visible,

>>it all looked slowed down and blurry in some areas.

Narrow shutter angle, plus shallow depth of field, plus slow motion... That's how I understand it from your description, at least. Though you mention a background both white -and- out of focus; generally you can't tell if the BG is out of focus if it is a solid color (white, in this case).

You should experiment - a good place to start would be to [a] choose a faster shutter speed; something above 1/120th (or 1/100th in PAL). Faster shutter speeds will reduce motion to an even greater extent. Experiment with slow motion. There are several different methods, from frame duplication, to field interpolation, to blending. Check them out and see what works best for you. [c] Experiment with backlighting to accentuate edge details and water droplets on the objects.

Hope this helps.