Sony HVR-Z1 vs JVC GY-DV5000e

Guest JonathanSmith

Guest JonathanSmith

If you had a choice between these two, what would it be and why? I have a £3000 budget to buy a camera to use to make my own movies but i have no idea what to get. All i have is the poetic license but not a clue about whats the best camera. If you have any other alternatives, please post them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bgvideo2003
If you had a choice between these two, what would it be and why? I have a £3000 budget to buy a camera to use to make my own movies but i have no idea what to get. All i have is the poetic license but not a clue about whats the best camera. If you have any other alternatives, please post them.

Hi Jonathan,

I don't have any personal experience with the Sony, but use several of the JVC DV5000 cameras. The JVC has virtually all of the features you would expect on an ENG or EFP camera including the standard lens mount so you can swap lenses. I've read a number of reviews on the Z1-U and it's capabilities seem to be more in line with the other 4:3 Sony 'VX' cameras rather than the real 'pro' line. The big thing I look for is low light noise and what the black tuxedos look like in the shadows when shooting weddings. The flexibility and true professional features of the DV5000 are hard to beat but it is going to cost you more than the Sony by the time you purchase power and a lens.

Jack

Ball Ground Video Productions

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the new JVC, at NAB I don't think that is a B mount. so I believe you have gotta get your other lenses fm them... It costs more than the Sony. the lens on the Sony HDV is a Zeiss HD quality lens. There are adapters available to extend it wider and probably soon tele.

The Sony has a 16by9 native chip set. The Pictures being shown on big screens at the Sony and other booths looked better than anything JVC was showing, which seems to me usual as I've never used a JVC camera where I liked the pictdures. One camera company rep told me on day 3 of NAB that they already had sole over 150 Sony Z cameras at the show. There were several box houses and full service dealers at the show.