Peercasting

GeorgeSelinsky

Hi all,

This is NOT cinematography related or, technically, film related so much as it is internet TV related, but this is a subject I've really become interested in:

http://www.peercast.org

http://www.icecast.org

This concept of P2P internet broadcasting (with free GPL software) based on what I read from a Wired article on Bit torrent technology is already being seen as the birth of future TV networks over the internet. No more huge servers serving every stream individually, everyone shares the bandwidth. There is already talk of TV networks thinking about this as a future.

I also found this interesting web project, Digital Bicycle

Of course, there is a blessing and a curse, the curse being that feature films (not ad supported) can end up being broadcast on these networks w/o paying for licensing.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

This concept of P2P internet broadcasting (with free GPL software) based on what I read from a Wired article on Bit torrent technology is already being seen as the birth of future TV networks over the internet. No more huge servers serving every stream individually, everyone shares the bandwidth. There is already talk of TV networks thinking about this as a future.

Of course, there is a blessing and a curse, the curse being that feature films (not ad supported) can end up being broadcast on these networks w/o paying for licensing.

P2P broadcasting (and P2P research in general) is on the increase, currently the emphasis seems to be on mostly promotional material... (I think Jackson's King Kong production diaries are available as BitTorrent downloads). Distribution-wise, definitely something to keep an eye on, lots of undiscovered/unexploited opportunities.