Using large diaphragm microphone instead of shotgun?

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Guest Christopher Sheneman

I like warm sound from the large diaphrag​m cardioid condenser microphones more than the metallic sounding shotguns..can I use a large diaphragm mike on a pole instead of shotgun making sure the camera noise has been eliminated? Or will it not work..thank you!

Technically... you can use whatever type of microphone you feel like. Just the results won't all be the same.

I like my shotgun because in some environments where you can't avoid it, it does a great job at knocking out off-axis noise. It's also lighter than my large diaphragm.

The large diaphragm sounds great when close to it or you have a good source, but it's also pretty sensitive, so you have to make sure you really get the source to rise above any inevitable room noise. The pattern is full- er... too large on the large condensers and will pick up too much.

If you can't work with the audio in post, I would say shotgun it during shooting, and then ADR it with the large diaphragm later. But, then you're still doing more work.

If anything, try it. If you have the time, it can't hurt to experiment. Learn by doing.