UPDATE Bolex D16 Digital ... any release date yet?

Rob Sanders

After reading about the new Bolex D16 for some time I am considering shooting with this camera IF it ever actually comes out :/. Its simpler to operate than the Red One, Arri Alexas...ect and cheaper. My old movie camera was the Arriflex 16/SB but the 4:3 aspect ratio is obsolete and S16 conversion with the Arri 16/SB is not practical although possible but very expensive. S16 Bolex (conversion) is an option but this new Bolex D16 looks promising. My question is: how may prototypes are actually floating out there? Has anyone shot with it yet? Opinions? Hand crank on a digital movie camera is just weird BUT if it serves a real practical purpose then who cares? Normally I would have laughed at the whole project but when I read this I think these guys are very serious. Personally I like the 2048 x 1152 (Super 16mm mode) and Standard lens format in C-mount, with option for PL, EF or B4 mounts. We will wait and see...

"We're working in partnership with Bolex International, SA. The collaborators on this project are based in Los Angeles, Toronto, China, and Switzerland."

"One of the unique features of the Digital Bolex D16 is its hand crank. The original Bolex H16 was spring-driven, like a clock, and you had to wind a crank on the side of the camera to put tension on the spring before shooting. The D16 incorporates the crank as a means to control camera functions (exposure, focus, frame rates, etc.), but the camera will potentially offer the ability to hand-crank the video recording itself. Since the camera records in discrete, unique frames (DNG, TIFF or JPEG). "

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/tags/digital-bolex-d16/what-exactly-digital-bolex-fusing-past-and-present-d16-records-2k-under-3k/59323

Ok it looks like Fall of 2012 , the first production run of 100 Bolex D16 cameras.

"The first 100 Digital Bolex D16 models should be ready to ship to Kickstarter investors in August, with the next run coming in around October. The camera is slated for a $3,300 price tag, which would seem near impossible for a 2K raw camera."

Well, this camera isn't exactly a Bolex (it isnt exactly anything tangible yet). The Bolex element is a badge and design throwback with the implied endorsement for marketing purposes.

I'd say the best place for information is with the makers themselves.

I wish them the best of luck, but personally think the Bolex connection is a bit arbitrary and not even true to the Bolex itself. Unless of course the crank will power the camera and a smaller crank prone to falling off will also be supplied for actual hand cranking through a 1:1 shaft that has I/O sync capability.

Also a 'reflex' prism and 13x optical finder so our RX lenses still have a home ;)

THAT would be interesting

Well, this camera isn't exactly a Bolex (it isnt exactly anything tangible yet). The Bolex element is a badge and design throwback with the implied endorsement for marketing purposes.

I'd say the best place for information is with the makers themselves.

I wish them the best of luck, but personally think the Bolex connection is a bit arbitrary and not even true to the Bolex itself. Unless of course the crank will power the camera and a smaller crank prone to falling off will also be supplied for actual hand cranking through a 1:1 shaft that has I/O sync capability.

Also a 'reflex' prism and 13x optical finder so our RX lenses still have a home ;)

THAT would be interesting

Thanks Chris for the response. You bring up great points. I am just looking for a affordable 2K Digital cinema camera. The prices (even daily rental) for the Red One, Arri Alexas or any decent digital cinema camera are staggering to say the least. But this Bolex D16 concept seems to be a great idea for the low budget indie filmmaker. I guess only time will tell if they deliver...

But this Bolex D16 concept seems to be a great idea for the low budget indie filmmaker. I guess only time will tell if they deliver...

The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera will be out in the field before the Digital Bolex (if BMD releases on schedule). Fall is a long ways off.

I like a lot about the Digital Bolex conceptually, but the footage so far isn't impressive. What I've seen from the BMD looks good, though to be fair they're much further along in the development process. The idea of a handcrank (functional or not) on the Bolex makes me wince.