Self Reliant Sound Device

Patrick Phelan

Hey there,

So I am doing an experimental project without a crew: it will just have me holding a camera and actors doing their thing.

I am looking for a cheap way to record their dialogue without any mixer. I realize the result won't be the ideal sound quality, but I am still looking for the best I can get this way. What I am looking for is something I can put on them for a candid project, so they can run around and do their own thing without having the camera or passerby's noticing the microphone.

My original idea was to hook a Zoom up to a microphone and use the Zoom like a self reliant lav. Does anyone have a good microphone recommendation for this? Or does anyone know of better sound equipment for this type of scenario?

Thanks

Hey there,

So I am doing an experimental project without a crew: it will just have me holding a camera and actors doing their thing.

I am looking for a cheap way to record their dialogue without any mixer. I realize the result won't be the ideal sound quality, but I am still looking for the best I can get this way. What I am looking for is something I can put on them for a candid project, so they can run around and do their own thing without having the camera or passerby's noticing the microphone.

My original idea was to hook a Zoom up to a microphone and use the Zoom like a self reliant lav. Does anyone have a good microphone recommendation for this? Or does anyone know of better sound equipment for this type of scenario?

Thanks

I have the Zoom H4n, it's got phantom power in case your microphone needs it. It runs off AA batteries. You can use the built-in X-Y mics but they pick up a lot of background noise so if your camera makes any sound at all it will probably pick it up. I would go with a Zoom and as much of a shotgun mic as you can afford.