More stupid questions for smart DP's

I'm using 16mm 320T, I was just curious if my shot looks into a window with sunlight coming in, stop wise, how over can the window be in comparision with my talent being backlit by it. I want to keep the face bright, but I don't want to be totally blown out in the BG.

For example, lets say my BG is and 11 and my talent is a 5.6? How much play do I have with 320?

Thanks boys.. and girls..

- - Justin :o

• Premium Member
I'm using 16mm 320T, I was just curious if my shot looks into a window with sunlight coming in, stop wise, how over can the window be in comparision with my talent being backlit by it. I want to keep the face bright, but I don't want to be totally blown out in the BG.

For example, lets say my BG is and 11 and my talent is a 5.6? How much play do I have with 320?

Thanks boys.. and girls..

- - Justin  :o

The issue is not the latitude of the negative (the negative has plenty of latitude to capture hightlight detail overexposed by only two stops), but rather the ability of a print or transfer to show some detail in the overexposed outdoors. With a two stop difference, you should will still see some detail outside, but it will be quite light. You may want that for the "look" you want, or you may want to either increase the level of light on your talent, or gel the window to better match the light levels.