drama reel

Hello,

The conundrum is to me, you shoot clean, just for the story, you don't get noticed, but a majority of drama is images that don't get noticed. Bad example I know, but the only example that springs to mind, the average punter doesn't understand the beauty in Deakins images in No country for old men, daggy hotel rooms, etc. If I was able to, not saying I can, but as a whole, shoot where you don't get noticed, how do you get noticed?

The other issue is I have shot convincing night for day, etc, trouble shot the best of problems, but unless I'm in a room and saying what I have done, they won't understand the process or what I have done to make it happen.

We all know our job extends beyond images, but how do you sell your skill sets beyond your reel? The other assets you have acquired?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

The conundrum is to me, you shoot clean, just for the story, you don't get noticed, but a majority of drama is images that don't get noticed. Bad example I know, but the only example that springs to mind, the average punter doesn't understand the beauty in Deakins images in No country for old men, daggy hotel rooms, etc. If I was able to, not saying I can, but as a whole, shoot where you don't get noticed, how do you get noticed?

The other issue is I have shot convincing night for day, etc, trouble shot the best of problems, but unless I'm in a room and saying what I have done, they won't understand the process or what I have done to make it happen.

We all know our job extends beyond images, but how do you sell your skill sets beyond your reel? The other assets you have acquired?

Thanks

Im not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you mean how do you let people know what exactly went into each set up on your reel? Not everything you shoot requires the cinematography to be overtly present and knowing when to scale it back is a skill in itself. The "average punter" might not understand the technical side of Deakins' images but the mood that those images convey is universally understood, otherwise they wouldn't work. You can't shoot, paint, write, etc. only for yourself or the "elite" folks who know all of the technical components. That's not why you do what you do. At the end of the way you are part of a whole and if your part is working, the whole picture has a better chance.