Help with my Elemack Spyder dolly

George Odell

Hello to all.

Picked up an Elemack Spyder dolly on Saturday from a local production house. Has not been used in some time and, unfortunately, has been stored for a few years in the dank basement of a house.

Needless to say, I have my restorative work cut out for me before I can use it. However, I'm up to the task and eager to put this baby back to it's original glory.

But... I can use some help and advice from anyone out there who either owns one or has some experience using it.

Here are my questions:

1) When you pump up the column, which one should raise up first?

2) There is a black plastic knob atop the "oil tank". I assume this is the fill port (?). Should this unscrew easily? Mine is on way too tight and I'm afraid it will snap off. Did they make a better replacement for this at some point?

3) Can anyone recommend the type/brand of hydraulic oil it uses?

4) This one has only the studio wheels. Do you recommend I search for the OEM bogey wheels or go with a skateboard arrangement. Replacing the wheels seems like a much harder/time consuming operation IMHO.

What's the real deal with the oil leak reputation the Spyder has? Where does it leak and how bad is it? I was told most leaks are from the operator continuing to pump after the column is fully extended thereby causing pressure to build up and pop a seal.

Comments, please.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

elemac.jpg

Edited by George Odell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...