Chapman University

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me (attends/has attended, etc.) chapman in orange county...I have a few reservations about the school...is the class size too big? as a directing major, do they let you shoot your own scripts? how is the living in orange county (I currently live in NYC)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Laura

I was just offered admission to the MFA cinematography at Chapman. Chapman seems to have their poop together. They were the last school I applied to and the first to contact me for an interview. They seem dedicated to improving their school and hopefully by the end of next year they will have a brand new, all in one, facility with classrooms, stages, shops, post, and a theater. If you are applying for the new MFA Conservatory (modeled after AFI and European schools) as a director you will, like all grads, produce, write, direct, shoot, audio, edit, and design a film (not all at once) the first year. The second year you will direct scripts written by the screenwriters and like all grads write a feature screenplay. The third year is dedicated to a thesis film that can be writer/director initiated. Screenwriters only have a two year program to the Production's three. However this is probably subject to change. You should ask them to send you their film school brochures and literature. Also, go to ftv.chapman.edu, click on the student resources link and download the student handbook for some very detailed information. I also suggest contacting the department chairs, Joe Slowensky for graduate, and someone else for undergrad. I went out to Chapman, sat-in on a class, and met my cinematography professor in his office hours. That pretty much sold me.

So you're going huh? I just got accepted to the MFA program with a directing emphasis...It made me a little nervous that they didn't ask for a visual sample of my work and I felt like my interview (over the phone) was a little rushed, as well. My other concern is that it's so expensive. It excites me that you went out there and thought it was great. What did you think of Orange County? Would love to talk to you more about this...

• 2 weeks later...

that is funny that you are from NYC and could possibly come out here to orange county. i'm the other way around i guess...or atleast that is what i want. i was accepted into the MFA at Chapman as well but i was never contacted for an interview or anything which i thought was odd. i have heard so many different situations and stories with the school it makes me a little nervous. well to answer your question aobut Orange County. Frist off it is not like the OC on Tv if you ever watch that show. i would imagine that you would find Orange County to be quite opposite from NYC. this could also be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel about NYC. atleast the weather down here is very favorable and great for shooting. there is a lot more to be said so maybe if you had some more specific questions i could help you out.