Anyone headed to AFM this year?

James Steven Beverly

More importantly.....any cash shake loose as a result of last years visit?

I won't be there as I don't shut down production until the last week in October. But if we survive the shoot I should have a pre pre trailer there for Against The Wild. We'll be hacking it together on set though. The animation PKG is done and looks outstanding, I am pleased to report that!

R,

COOL, Congrats, Richie! I'm looking forward to see the trailer/Teaser. As for you question, Last year was more of a shakedown, sort of an exploratory expedition to see what that whole thing was about. But NO there is as of yet no firm cash in hand, although I did get a manager and have 3 solid on-going working relationships with producers who are trying to find money. Again, we'll see what happens.

I was a little reserved last year and did a lot of observing and learning so I didn't take as much advantage as I should probably have of the resources that were there. I intend to remedy that this year as I feel far more comfortable with the event. I'm sorry you won't be able to attend. I'm really looking forward to meeting you in person. and buying you a beer or 10 my friend. :D If you can break free and fly down for a day or 2, it would be cool though.

At this point, I would imagine you have a distribution conduit in place as well as a source of funding so I don't know what AFM might do for you other than being able to meet industry people and develop relationships with them.

I'll be there. I live in LA so it's only a few minute drive. I wrap my first 90 minute feature 3 weeks before so I'll have some nice footage to show around. Shoot me an email and we can meet up for a drink, the bar is where you make most contacts (so I hear).

brandon(AT)onwardmotionpictures(DOT)com

I'll be there. I live in LA so it's only a few minute drive. I wrap my first 90 minute feature 3 weeks before so I'll have some nice footage to show around. Shoot me an email and we can meet up for a drink, the bar is where you make most contacts (so I hear).

brandon(AT)onwardmotionpictures(DOT)com

Brandon, I sent you an email. B)

• 1 month later...

Back from my triumphant return. This was a GREAT YEAR for me. I'm acutally still a bit overwhelmed. I do apologize to Brandon though. I got REALLY busy and didn't have a chance to really call him back though I had planned to. Sorry about that , sir. I can't really discuss details but I picked up some traction...DRAGSTER traction....on 3 projects! I was GREAT! I was still pitching at the end of the last night of AFM and got some of my best results that night! I'm exhausted, a little sick from a bug that was going around. I missed my plane and had to spend the night in the LAX international yerminal but it was ALL worth it. I'll fill in the details later as I can. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

So did you see my trailer for Against The Wild there? Not the final of course as we shut down just four days before AFM started.

Oh BTW, I have now made three feature films to your zero. Pretty soon I am coming down to whatever state you live in and kick your sorry ass across the finish line. Talk is cheap bro, time to man up and make a damn movie!!!

R,

No, I had NO time. I was either in meetings, networking or attending conferences the entire time but I want to see it. Email it to me if you get the chance. With any luck by the end of this coming year we'll be dead even....and that's only the ones who have concretely confirmed interest through action not all the irons in the fire that have shown great interest and told me it would take a week or two to get beck to me after the market.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

With any luck by the end of this coming year we'll be dead even...

You're going to make three feature films in one year? I tell people all the time one feature every 2-3 years is a reasonable goal.

R,

Well, we'll see what shakes out. The one producer I'm working with told me his company is planning 3 pictures a year for at least the next few years and so far I/m the only writer/director he's mentioned. We had a long conversation yesterday on a project I gave him just to prove I can write dialog and he loved the story, and gave me some notes I could live with so we decided to make that one first while while I work on the script for the second one. I may end up with a producing credit as well.

The other production company has a firm commitment to an on going relationship. They have included language in the contract that gives me Writer/director/producer credit as well. As it stands right now, yes there are 3 pictures on the table, with possibilities of more offers from other sources. At this point both companies are putting together the financing and we had a VERY good meeting the last night of AMF on just that subject. So far they've committed to give me everything I've asked for. I'm at the castle gate, the drawbridge is being lowered and a red carpet is being rolled out.

At this point both companies are putting together the financing

Right, herein lies the most difficult part. This is why I say one movie every 2-3 years is a reasonable expectation.

R,

Yeah, I know but we've already got half the budget on one and are in talks with the other half right now along with another outside well connected finder searching for additional funding and the other producer has equity funding available and estimates it will take about 4 months to nail that down for the second feature but he wants to do my other script first which has a lower budget so it may take much less time. Both producers have committed to getting the pictures made in 2013 so barring any unforeseen situations, I'm fairly confident that's what's going to happen.

I'm fairly confident that's what's going to happen.

We will pick up this thread in 12 months and I really hope you are right, I really do! Roll em'

R,