Jack Fall

https://vimeo.com/50031998

Got approached to edit and second unit direct an interesting little feature called Jack Fall, a story about a man trying to figure out what he'd want most in life if he could have it all back. The film was zero budget, but the script was irresistible, so I joined in. First up was to go out to the Southeastern Oregon wilderness and film some look and style tests as well as teaser shots to get investors interested. We had no money, so the 5D MKII became our A cam for entire shoot, and we set out determined to make the compressed h.264 look as good as we could.

After we returned to Portland, I brought the footage into DaVinci Resolve and went to work calming down highlights and shifting the pink skin tones into something that better accentuated golden hour. Our skeleton crew did an excellent job with what they had, and shortly after posting this video online two days ago, professional crew from nearby productions (Grimm, Leverage) have pledged time and resources to this project to make it succeed. It was a lesson in perseverance.

Our tools weren't ideal, but we made them work as best we could. It's made all of us better filmmakers. Our principal photography begins Oct 28 featuring a donated Canon C300 or possibly Alexa as our new A cam.

• Premium Member

https://vimeo.com/50031998

Got approached to edit and second unit direct an interesting little feature called Jack Fall, a story about a man trying to figure out what he'd want most in life if he could have it all back. The film was zero budget, but the script was irresistible, so I joined in. First up was to go out to the Southeastern Oregon wilderness and film some look and style tests as well as teaser shots to get investors interested. We had no money, so the 5D MKII became our A cam for entire shoot, and we set out determined to make the compressed h.264 look as good as we could.

After we returned to Portland, I brought the footage into DaVinci Resolve and went to work calming down highlights and shifting the pink skin tones into something that better accentuated golden hour. Our skeleton crew did an excellent job with what they had, and shortly after posting this video online two days ago, professional crew from nearby productions (Grimm, Leverage) have pledged time and resources to this project to make it succeed. It was a lesson in perseverance.

Our tools weren't ideal, but we made them work as best we could. It's made all of us better filmmakers. Our principal photography begins Oct 28 featuring a donated Canon C300 or possibly Alexa as our new A cam.

Very nice images in a compelling teaser. Hope you get the Alexa. That puts out the best digital images I've seen.

Either way, good luck with project and keep us posted with distribution. Looks good and I'd like to see it when it's done.

Very nice images in a compelling teaser. Hope you get the Alexa. That puts out the best digital images I've seen.

Thanks Bill. I'm certainly leaning towards that camera as well. Our condition is we're required to use the owner of the cam as the sole operator, which is reasonable enough considering our rate (peanuts) but cramps our creative style a bit as we shoot primarily handheld.

What was the process for getting your footage into Resolve, as I have been trying to use resolve but have had some difficulty getting it from my NLE to Resolve. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I edited this project in Premiere CS6. Workflow was pretty basic. It involved exporting an XML from the NLE, importing the XML and conforming the timeline in Resolve, and then another XML export from Resolve which was loaded back into Premiere with the graded shots in the new timeline. Resolve 9 seems to hate importing clips on multiple layers, so I try to keep everything to one layer when I export from my NLE.

Previous versions of Premiere were exporting in the wrong format of XML, which could be an issue if you have an older NLE.

Thanks Bill. I'm certainly leaning towards that camera as well. Our condition is we're required to use the owner of the cam as the sole operator, which is reasonable enough considering our rate (peanuts) but cramps our creative style a bit as we shoot primarily handheld.

I edited this project in Premiere CS6. Workflow was pretty basic. It involved exporting an XML from the NLE, importing the XML and conforming the timeline in Resolve, and then another XML export from Resolve which was loaded back into Premiere with the graded shots in the new timeline. Resolve 9 seems to hate importing clips on multiple layers, so I try to keep everything to one layer when I export from my NLE.

Previous versions of Premiere were exporting in the wrong format of XML, which could be an issue if you have an older NLE.

I have CS6 and Resolve 9 Lite, my past experiences were with previous versions of both programs so I will give it another shot I appreciate the information and the quick response.

Jeremy Ables

• 1 month later...

The beautiful fall ended a little too fast, so we made the decision to push principal photography back until next spring and raise a little more money in the meantime. In fact, the kickstarter campaign is in its final 24 hours.

Additional funds and support have allowed us access to a few more cameras. Current debate is between Epic and Alexa. Epic could be beneficial for VFX shots (though we don't have many), but I much prefer the Alexa to the Epic in terms of dynamic range and highlight roll off.