Alexa SUP (7.0) bugs

Pedro Millan

Hey everyone,

I start shooting a low budget film on Sunday on the Alexa with their new SUP 7.0 in SxS ProRes 2K 16:9. They just sent out a message today announcing there are two bugs in their new firmware. Apparently the half pixel missing in the center of the image is only noticeable when comparing it to a 2K ArriRaw image.

I think I am good but still nervous about this sudden news, especially when I'm start shooting in a few days, wanting to throw this out there and hear any thoughts you may have.

Below is the Arri message..

Thank you,

P

Dear Customer,

We found two independent bugs in the release version of Software Update Packet (SUP) 7.0. While we are working with high priority at eliminating these bugs, it is important that you are aware of them and the possible work arounds. Please read the following information carefully.

0.5 Column Missing in ProRes 2K 16:9

Due to a miscalculation in the image processing path for ProRes 2K recordings, there is a column of about half a pixel missing in the center of the image. This effect does not seem to be evident when the ProRes 2K picture is viewed by itself. However, when compared to a 2K image that was processed from an ARRIRAW frame (2K from 2868 setting), it will become apparent. This bug only occurs on 16:9 sensor mode with 2K SxS Recording Resolution.

If you have a 4:3 camera (ALEXA Studio, ALEXA Plus 4:3, ALEXA M), switching the sensor mode to 4:3 will prevent the effect. The recorded image then needs to be cropped in post to the desired aspect ratio.

If you have a 16:9 camera (ALEXA, ALEXA Plus), switching the SxS Recording Resolution to HD will prevent the effect. Unfortunately we have to strongly recommend against using ProRes 2K 16:9 on these cameras until we deliver a fix.

If you need 2k on a budget consider the gemini, it'll be more expensive on the back end but it'll get what you need. This report is different from the one i heard which said 10 pixals have been stiched together, not .5 of one pixal. Either way its not going to be fixed by Sunday.

If you dont need 2k then you'll be fine

• 4 months later...