Sweet Lil Red (6 hour film contest entry for Full Sail.)

Hello all,

This is our concept for a feature length film that was created for Full Sail's 6 hour film contest. In the contest we were not given the prop until the morning of the contest. We had just 6 hours to write, shoot, edit and submit our creation.

This is our entry it is a darker twist on the classic Little Red Riding Hood tale. We are currently thinking of turning it into a feature length film. Please watch it and let us know what you think. We won honorable mention at the contest but ultimately did not win.

http://youtu.be/33Az4upu2gA

Not bad for a short (considering the amount of time you had to make it) but if you want to do a feature, start a new project. Besides, this story was recently reinterpreted in "Red Riding Hood."

I have not seen that version but in it doesn't Red fall in love with the werewolf? Ala Twilight? Ours is designed to be darker with horror overtones and show that Red wasn't the victim but the predator.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff!

For 6 hours, that's a lot better than most of the student short films that come from there.

As far as for the concept, I'd take those same people you worked with and make it into a short film all over again and distribute it to festivals. I personally wouldn't make it into a feature -- at least not yet. But if you do decide to make it into a feature in the very near future, hire professionals to shoot it and not aim to have a crew full of classmates. As a producer, you have to keep in mind that you and all of your classmates are still learning, and you probably don't want to risk no gain in profit simply because you wanted to make your friends happy. Overall, you have to keep your art piece in mind, and if you are really passionate about this idea, you'd find the most experienced to execute it, or, if you really want to use your classmates, you'd wait until they have more "Real World Experience."

I would know these things, I used to be a student there. :)

Zachary J. Esters

I am not actually attending the school there. I am taking the online Digital Cinematography degree. The actor and actress have zero experience. The actress is my sister and the actor is a friend with a degree in photography. We probably will revisit it in a short sometime later this year. It was a lot of fun to make.

Thank you for the compliment on it being better than some films that come from there. I have seen a lot of bad press for the school but it is my belief you get what you put in it back. I have enjoyed it so far. Thanks for taking the time to watch the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly my friend! That is also what a lot of my fellow classmates (the complainers, not the "do-ers") whined about after graduation--- these are the same people who give the school bad press, but in the end, it was obvious the reason why they came to the school in the first place was because of the "good press," not the education. They came expecting immediate placement, not to learn; might I add they had a strong tendency to not practice their skills outside of class. I am glad you are not one of them!

Zachary J. Esters