Camera Protection Ideas for a Sony PD-170

Seth Slavin

I will be filming College Paintball Championships this weekend for a paintball documentary. I'm looking for ideas to protect the camera as I will be on field with the players. If you don't have experience with paintball, needless to say I WILL be shot, possibly the camera as well. When playing speedball (close quarter combat with blow up bunkers as opposed to woods play) players shoot at anything that moves and these guys are good. Basically what I was thinking was possibly a leather enclosure for the case with foam padding placed around it topped with a molded plastic exoskeleton. A piece of 100% clear plastic will be placed in front of the lens. I'm not sure how well this will work however and am looking for additional ideas. Any input would be helpful (mounting, adhesives, a wonder product of some kind.)

• Premium Member

I'm just sitting here looking at the rain cover for my PD-170, it might work.

I'm not sure how hard your paintballs hit,I'm a marksman and shoot compi-

tion with .45 ACP pistols but no experience with paintballs. If they do not hit

too hard a rain cover might work. The use of a clear piece of plastic is becom-

ing more desirable by the minute,I think. Sorry can't think of anything else.

Maybe David Mullen ASC will be around and have a good suggestion for you.

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

If it was me, I'd use the raincover. I'd think it would protect the camera body well enough. As far as the lens is concerned, I'd put a UV lens filter on the front and forget the plexiglass idea. If you plan on using the LCD screen, I'd think of some way to protect that. Maybe one of those hoodman covers would work. They're cheap.