How sensitive is a ballast to moisture?

Hi

Boring question, I know its important to keep ballasts dry but will a little moisture in the air damage them over time? I keep all my gear in a storage locker and I just picked up two older hmis one with magnetic and one with electronic ballast. My locker is dry but not well ventilated. I can tell because pieces of cardboard left in there feel a little soft rather than crisp. I couldn't find this topic covered in another thread so if someone has already answered it can you direct me to it?

thanks

Like most electronics, ballasts can be quite sensitive to moisture. Various components can be affected by corrosion, and moisture in combination with dust can also prove damaging. That being said Ive seen ballasts with very little maintenance come out from 3-4 years of storage in far from idea conditions and work fine. Ive also seen them arc, smoke up and have to head in for repairs as well.

Putting a DampRid container or a similar product in your storage locker should help on the moisture front, just make sure you keep on top of emptying the water recovered and filling up the product. Storing them off the ground and covering them to protect them from dust entering their vents etc helps as well.

• Upvote 1