16mm sound prints

Marty Hamrick

When I was first learning the craft,those who were actively pursiung cinematography in my area were either working in LA or NY with TV and theatrical stuff,35mm for the most part or they were working on industrials,educational films,commercials and the like mostly released on 16mm optical sound prints or super 8 cartridge prints for Technicolor,MPO or Fairchild projectors.The last time for me was about 1984.The market is pretty dead unless any of you know where it's still being done.I've shot a few things in 16mm and 35mm since then but it's all gone straight to video.Just curious.I also get calls now and then to pull apart old original material that's been sitting in closets and vaults to salvage the more historically valueable stuff.It never ceases to amaze me how well film holds up even when it's been stored in poor environments.

Guest Michael Carter

I wanted to go more professional and went and bought a Auricon Pro 600 optical sound on film camera that actually works. That was just a couple years ago. My market was to transfer 8mm film to video. Hardly anyone has any 16mm to transfer. There is one retired engineer who has a box full of 400 foot edited reels we visit sometimes. He projected some for us. It looked so good I've been shooting plusx negative and having prints made. I'll eventually buy a transfer machine for 16mm next. It is all very interesting.

I wanted to go more professional and went and bought a Auricon Pro 600 optical sound on film camera that actually works. That was just a couple years ago. My market was to transfer 8mm film to video. Hardly anyone has any 16mm to transfer. There is one retired engineer who has a box full of 400 foot edited reels we visit sometimes. He projected some for us. It looked so good I've been shooting plusx negative and having prints made. I'll eventually buy a transfer machine for 16mm next. It is all very interesting.

That is a great camera. Have you shot any optical sound with it? I was wondering how optical sound might turn out with PlusX. I was playing with the idea of sending the projectors audio into a equalizer, then into a expander for a little extra dynamic range. I think it might sound quite nice considering the limitations of optical sound.

jack in Portland Oregon, USA

Guest Michael Carter
That is a great camera.  Have you shot any optical sound with it?  I  was wondering how  optical sound might turn out with PlusX.  I was playing with the idea of sending the projectors audio into a equalizer, then into a expander for a little extra dynamic range. I think it might sound quite nice considering the limitations of optical sound.

jack in Portland Oregon,  USA

There was static but the reading could be understood well enough on a big old Bell & Howell projector. And that was with reversal film. If the spikes are clearly visable then the sound is good; if they are smoothed off then the sound is bad. The processing controls that. Too much gama is BAD.

Negative should turn out much better.

Michael

i make 16mm opical print once or twice per year.

these are personal projects not commercial.

there is an obvious reason i make prints instead of video.

by-the-by, good to see filmmakers in my old hometown, Jville.

When I was first learning the craft,those who were actively pursiung cinematography in my area were either working in LA or NY with TV and theatrical stuff,35mm for the most part or they were working on industrials,educational films,commercials and the like mostly released on 16mm optical sound prints or super 8 cartridge prints for Technicolor,MPO or Fairchild projectors.The last time for me was about 1984.The market is pretty dead unless any of you know where it's still being done.I've shot a few things in 16mm and 35mm since then but it's all gone straight to video.Just curious.I also get calls now and then to pull apart old original material that's been sitting in closets and vaults to salvage the more historically valueable stuff.It never ceases to amaze me how well film holds up even when it's been stored in poor environments.

That is a great camera.  Have you shot any optical sound with it? 

jack in Portland Oregon,  USA

Back in 1981,I was hired to shoot a gig that would've been a video shoot just a couple of years later.We had 3 Auricons all running with optical sound.The client wanted a 16mm film of the event we were shooting with an optical track.We used Tri X reversal.