Sekonic L-558Cine DualMaster

Hi Dave,

I bought one to replace my separate Minolta Spot F and Sekonic StudioMaster incident meters. I'm very pleased with it (although, while gaffing a feature the other day, found myself metering for 50 fps rather than 1/50th of a second!) Doh! There's some film one stop overexposed. :blink: Need to read my settings better.

Three excellent features of the 558-Cine:

1. cine settings for true FPS, not just exposure time;

2. spinning shutter angle adjustment, and;

3. filter factor adjustment.

All built in. Final reading is your actual f-stop after accounting for most on-set variables like fps, camera filters, shutter angle, and cinematographer's creative choices.

One caveat: There are some advanced setup features that are awkwardly described by the manual. One very cool thing is the ability to "boot up" the meter in an advanced setup mode that, essentially, allows you to choose which metering modes will appear while scrolling through them during normal operation. You can enable/disable/customize a variety of ambient and flash modes to suit your typical use. For instance, you can activate a footcandle/lux metering mode and choose which measurement to meter with. If you deactivate it, it simply doesn't show up while scrolling through modes.

Michael