Simulating light from gelled windows in a small space

I need to buy and set up a semi-permanent low-temperature light (CFL? Kinoflo? LED?) in some sort of controllable-throw diffusing configuration (Softbox and grate? Diffusion in front? Square? Strip-box?) mounted out of sight but near (usually above but perhaps below also/ instead) large windows in a small room to augment the light coming through these gelled windows to simulate the windows lighting the room. The arrangement should be dimmable in some way and - ideally - disguisable as a practical or decorative element so as to not be obtrusive when it has to appear in a shot. This is one of my living spaces and will be shot in often - ideally I'd set something up which can stay in place and contribute to the decor.

The room's 13' x 11' with a 10 foot ceiling - the 2 6' high x 2' wide windows face south and east.

It would be great to be able to have the ability to adjust the throw of the light so as to adjust the darkness of the walls.

I'll need to make an excellent choice - retaining continuity despite changes in sunlight penetration will be challenging enough.

It's going to take some experimentation, of course, but it would be great to get some ideas to help me narrow down the options.