Resolution chart results

Simon Wyndham

Out of curiosity from this site http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/respat/ I decided to try my own resolution test using the Sony PDW510 with a Canon J17 7.7 lens.

Much to my surprise, depite framing the chart right to the edge of the screen (including overscan area) the results I obtained showed far less horizontal resolution than that guys TRV900! Even when I switched to 4:3 mode whereas that TRV900 seemingly shows clear lines well over 500 lines on the chart along the vertical "I" plane (I used the letter "I" to make sure you understand which axis I am on about), mine just blurred beyond that point.

Am I to seriously believe that his TRV900 produces a sharper resolution? Further to this, if he did indeed record the footage and play it back in DV25, surely it could not possibly resolve more than 500 lines across? Even further, I loaded the full size resolution chart he offers for download into Photoshop and then reduced the image to 768 pixels across. I found that even Photoshops scaling technology couldn't keep as much resolution resolving in the chart as that guys TRV900 test results!!

So what exactly is going on here?